News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Maingau 35 Phone

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 12, 2017, 10:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just took a few pictures of my German Maingau 35 phone.  This one has 1940 dates in it.  I recently managed to make this phone work after asking for a wiring diagram on the forum (forum link) and fixing a couple of broken connections on the induction coils.  As you can see on the pictures, one of the cradle ears is broken off, but there is enough left to hold the handset in place.  These metal cradles are very fragile, and they are often found broken.  This phone is also missing the proper line cord and the rubber or plastic piece which fits into the opening in the back of the shell where the cords exit.

The phone works well now, though there is some crackling from the original transmitter.  I connected a 510Ω resistor in parallel with the transmitter to reduce the amount of current flowing through it.

The insides of this phone look just like the ones on this: link German web page.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Pictures of my Maingau 38 are here: forum link and my Maingau 46 here: forum link

Larry

AL_as_needed

Do you know what type of metal they used to make the cradle? Would be a bit of work but you may be able to build up and shape new material to make a repair. While I'm not sure about handset cradles, I know Teleplay has had luck rebuilding broken off tabs on lanterns.
TWinbrook7

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: AL_as_needed on December 14, 2017, 08:51:34 PM
Do you know what type of metal they used to make the cradle? Would be a bit of work but you may be able to build up and shape new material to make a repair. While I'm not sure about handset cradles, I know Teleplay has had luck rebuilding broken off tabs on lanterns.

I don't know what kind of metal it is, but I am hopeless at doing such repairs.  If I did repair it, it would look worse than it does now.  At any rate, the break is not noticeable when the phone sits on a high display shelf.

Larry