News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Its fixed, Thanks Guys!

Started by Karl S., May 26, 2011, 05:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl S.

I purchased a rotary wall phone on e-bay and need help finding out which termnals I connect to for dial tone.  Plus if somebody can tell me the model of the phone as well.
I included a couple pictures of the phone but in case the terminals are hard to read I included what the terminals are.
5 4 3 2 1
T R G              13  12  11

5 is empty, 4 has a red wire,  3 has a white wire, 2 has a yellow, 1 has a blue,  13 has a green, 12 is empty ans  11 has a yellow
I appreciate all the help.  I'll try for a better picture later.
Thanks  Karl

HarrySmith

What you have there is an AE 90. I believe there are more terminals than what you listed. I built a few of these a year or so ago. If I recall correctly you need to hook uo the line cord, red & green wires to terminals  8 & 9. I have a wiring diagram somewhere I can dig out. Can you remove the dial, it slides out easily, and get a clearer picture of the entire network?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Karl S.

I removed the dial and found more terminals (left - right) blank, 5 4 3 L2 L1 blank. I also included better pictures.

Karl S.

another pic

HarrySmith

OK, line cord, red & green go to L1 & L2. It has a straight line ringer so you should be all set with a functioning phone!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Karl S.

I'll buy a cord tomorrow and wire it up and check it.  I'll let you know if I have a working phone or not.

Karl S.

Bought a cord today and hooked it up to the phone, red to L1 and green to L2.  No dial tone.  My next question is, is there somebody that would look at it (for a reasonable price) and let me know what it would cost to have a working phone.  I like the looks of an old phone but would like it to work. Thanks    Karl

HarrySmith

Yes, there are people here, including myself, who can look at it, fix it and restore it for you but that takes all the fun out of it!
Let me dig out my wiring diagrams and notes so we can see where to go next.

I attached a photo of an AE90 in the middle of restoration, after cleaning. You may want to do some cleaning on yours, it is pretty dirty. May be a bad connection in that mess.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Karl S.

I'm not an electrical kind of guy, so if you can walk me thru it fine. What should I use to clean it with?  But when I get frustrated I'll send it to you.
Karl

stub

Karl S. ,
          I noticed that the handset wires are in the wrong place . They should be attached to the network. They should be like this -  Handset     Red to 5 T on network
                                                                 Yellow to  4 R on network
                                                                  Green to 3 C on network     This might get you going if no other wires were moved before you got it.   If this doesn't work we can talk you thru a rewire.
          I think this is your diagram - download it  .    stub

Harry,  Here's the diagram             http://tinyurl.com/4x9gcdw                    stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

Karl S.

I'll change the handset and let you know what happens.  Karl

MDK

Yes, download the wiring diagram, you can't go wrong there. You might print it out, and trace the wires in their respective colors with colored pencil or marker. I took mine and totally redid the wiring diagram for my SC1543 in color. I think someone else has done the same with some of the WE wiring diagrams.

Wiring diagrams sometimes seem overwhelming at first, but it is a lot easier after you've looked at it a while. Take it one wire at a time, everything is labeled and colored.

Karl S.

Changed the wires and it works just like it should.  The only thing is the dial is alittle loose but seems to dial ok for now.  Thanks  Karl

By the way, what year did these phones go into service?

stub

Karl S.,
            This should help, scroll down to your phone.  AE-90  .  stub

http://tinyurl.com/43qngsz
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Karl S. ,
            Here are some more .   stub

http://tinyurl.com/3rtzwct
Kenneth Stubblefield