News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Starting The Move To LED Lighting

Started by 19and41, February 17, 2016, 07:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

About 3 years ago, I stopped using conventional flashlights, trading them for one of this type.  They are very bright, have a hanging hook and have built in strong magnets to hold them in place to work in metal enclosures.  they throw a nice bright beam and run on 3 "AA" cell batteries.  It turns on upon opening.  Everyone who sees it at work wants one.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/29-5620
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

I've got one of these, a Grundig-branded LED torch that I bought about 8 years ago for around £5, it's outlasted many a cheapo battery-operated LED device I've bought to date...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140892773872

Also have an energizer-branded LED light which can be held in the palm, or flipped open to stand up on its own, hung up inside a tent, and even be used to stare at one's self as it has a built-in mirror, can't find it at the moment (both in person and online), but it's pretty useful... :)

Pic of the Grundig:

19and41

Tough looking light.  Your other one sounds like mine.  It has a mirrored cover over the batteries.  I also use a little 6V light for my keyring.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Babybearjs

there was an artical on the NHK news yesterday about how Hong Kong is changing over to LEDs there was a photographer documenting the old lightbulbs... it was quite interesting.
John

podor

I am a huge fan of LED lighting. I'm about 90% converted on my house. I updated the can lights in my kitchen with the replacement modules from Sylvania. They are so bright at normal power, I had to put in a dimmer switch. Nothing like grabbing a midnight snack with those popping on at full power. It reminded me of when Clark finally got his Christmas lights to turn on in Christmas Vacation.

I was in Vegas the past week on a business trip. The lights on the Strip are mostly LED now. That has to save them a mint in electricity compared to incandescent and neon.

19and41

It's nice they are also setting up the older signs in a museum, too.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Finally found my Energizer LED light this evening, so took a few pictures, the model is "LED4AA4" and is just 3x LEDs in a frosted housing, with a slight modification to remove a white sheet of plastic they used as a reflector, when it had a built-in reflector!!! ;D

Oh, and included my Grundig LED torch too... :)

19and41

Nice unit.  That flip light of mine about puts your eyes out looking at it.  It looks like yours is a bit more diffused.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Yes, the light the Energizer puts out is diffused, which I like when working on things as it reduces shadows and glare, giving a nice even light on whatever I need it to illuminate... :)

Wanted to get a couple more, but they're well and truly discontinued and sold out now it seems...

podor

My personal favorite is the Streamlight Stinger LED. Super bright, superb quality and lifetime warranty. Tons of other great flashlights also.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=123

There are a ton of great COB (chips on board) lights out there that are awesome. There are products from VIM, EZ-Red, DSR and Monster that are unbelievable.

twocvbloke

Finally got an LED replacement tube (4250k colour) for the kitchen fluorescent light today, bought off ebay, it replaced a 36 Watt 4ft T8 GE tube (a flickery thing even when new, hated it), it's a magnetic ballasted fitting so had to have the starter replaced with a fuse, not entirely sure what the circuit is, but it lights up nicely, and was easy to fit... :)

Purchased from this lot for £12.89:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251742978666

19and41

Looks good!  Is it whiter than the fluorescent?
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

It's about the same whiteness as the fluorescent tube, aside from a slightly more noticeable 50Hz flicker (not got as high a rated capacitor as it should have) and those long plastic end-caps, it's actually pretty indistinguishable from the tube it replaced, but its instant-on, full brightness immediately, and is rated only 15 Watts as oppose to 36 Watts... :)

19and41

I've gotten a new LED back porch light to replace the 2 brightness halogen motion sensing dusk to dawn lamp.  It put far too much noise on the house wiring and spoils my old radio reception.  The halogen was 100 watts on the bright side and 50 watts on the low.  The LED lamp will be much less than that and is much brighter. 

http://www.amazon.com/Ciata-Lighting-Jelly-Photo-Bronze/dp/B01AB4W7D2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

I installed the light this morning.  It is quite bright and does not generate any noticeable RFI.  It illuminates a sizeable area around the porch as well. 
— Arthur C. Clarke