and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Switchboard Lamp Extractor Tool, Lamp Cap Extractor Tool & Operator's Dial

Started by Fabius, May 17, 2017, 09:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on May 20, 2017, 12:48:00 PM
6g it is then. Thanks.

The 6G is a 20 PPS dial, you can only use it if you have an exchange that supports it.    I think a Cisco router still does, but not systems like FiOS.

TelePlay

Back in 2011, Dennis Markham posted a link to this TCI document. Scroll down to Page 4 for a lot of #6 dial info, as well as the other dials on other pages.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=2385&Itemid=11

Table D on Page 4 does show the #6G 20 PPS dial for a 555 PBX. But as poplar1 said, it might be too fast for your provider.

Fabius

Quote from: poplar1 on May 20, 2017, 12:55:29 PM
6G could have been used with #5 Crossbar Central Offices, but it would be too fast for Step-by-Step Offices.
What kind of line will you be using as a trunk for the 555?

I haven't given that too much thought yet. Most likely VOIP (Magic Jack) or as an extension off of my Panasonic 616 which reaches the outside world by VOIP. A less likely option would be a land line from Frontier. The CO switch is a GTD-5. If I can't get the 20pps dial work on any of those options I would use the other. I would still get a 6G to have the "correct" dial.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

trainman

Maybe you should jjust go with a 10PPS dial. I have uverse internet. I still have a POTS line. i can tell you whenever I use my 20pps dial on my 555 it makes the status lights on my modem go red.  and, i think the switchboard is doing something also with uverse. leaving the switchboard connected to the phone line also messes up uverse

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on May 20, 2017, 09:14:33 PM
I haven't given that too much thought yet. Most likely VOIP (Magic Jack) or as an extension off of my Panasonic 616 which reaches the outside world by VOIP. A less likely option would be a land line from Frontier. The CO switch is a GTD-5. If I can't get the 20pps dial work on any of those options I would use the other. I would still get a 6G to have the "correct" dial.

The 6G is only one of the "correct" dials.  A 5H is just as correct, it was one of the first dials specified for 555 models before 1953.

5H, 5K
6A, 6R, 6G

6G was the replacement for the 5K.

Given that the board was apparently still in use in the 1980s, you can also install a Touchtone dial. It was an official option:
25K3, 25S3, 66D3A

Fabius

Since the one date found on the board is 1972 (the 1985 dated buzzer is probably a replacement) I assume it was made after 1953. So I'll look for both a 6G and a 10 pps #6 with the attendant finger stop.

Thank all for the information and good discussion.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

I thought I had posted this question already but I don't see it under my postings. Sorry if it's a repeat.

Which lamps do I need for the board? I see there are a few different types of 24 volt bulbs. Thanks.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Fabius on May 21, 2017, 02:05:36 PM
I thought I had posted this question already but I don't see it under my postings. Sorry if it's a repeat.

Which lamps do I need for the board? I see there are a few different types of 24 volt bulbs. Thanks.
It depends on the power supply voltage you choose.  Per the SD, it's capable of operating from 16-50V if equipped with appropriate lamps.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Fabius on May 21, 2017, 01:56:38 PM
Since the one date found on the board is 1972 (the 1985 dated buzzer is probably a replacement) I assume it was made after 1953. So I'll look for both a 6G and a 10 pps #6 with the attendant finger stop.

Thank all for the information and good discussion.
Inspect the relay coil spool headers in the cord and TEL ckts.  They have a date indicating the quarter and last 2 digits of the year, usually in silver ink on older U/UA/Y type relays.  Of course these units could have been changed so survey them.  IIRC, the B-type N or NA night alarm relay is mounted on the framework, not easily changed without soldering, and also should be dated on the front face where the code is stamped.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: unbeldi on May 21, 2017, 12:31:58 PM
The 6G is only one of the "correct" dials.  A 5H is just as correct, it was one of the first dials specified for 555 models before 1953.

5H, 5K
6A, 6R, 6G

6G was the replacement for the 5K.

Given that the board was apparently still in use in the 1980s, you can also install a Touchtone dial. It was an official option:
25K3, 25S3, 66D3A
All swbd TT dials are pretty hard to find because they have a NC ckt, the opposite of telephone set dials.  The 12-button 35H3 would be the most common.  10 and 16 button types quite rare.  Even when you find an adjunct dial assy it's usually equipped with a telephone set dial.

Also, adding a TT dial to a swbd requires adding a TT dial applique ckt which contains a repeat coil and inductor to power the dial from swbd battery and place its output in series with the cord ckt like the rotary dial contact so that an EXT on the line and the attendant do not hear loud (unattenuated) TT when the attendant is dialing.

Fabius

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on May 21, 2017, 03:56:47 PM
Inspect the relay coil spool headers in the cord and TEL ckts.  They have a date indicating the quarter and last 2 digits of the year, usually in silver ink on older U/UA/Y type relays.  Of course these units could have been changed so survey them.  IIRC, the B-type N or NA night alarm relay is mounted on the framework, not easily changed without soldering, and also should be dated on the front face where the code is stamped.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Quote from: Fabius on May 17, 2017, 09:16:05 PM
WANTED: Switchboard Lamp Extractor Tool. WECO #6 operator dial.

Found the cap removal tool on eBay. Found a used lamp extractor on eBay for a total of $3.85

Need two metal covers for the modules.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

trainman

RE: Switchboard lamps.

Mine came with 48v 2Y bulbs installed. Too dim running from 24v.  I found some JKL 35A1.  Theu are 35v.  Similar amp draw as the 2Y.  Not too bad running at 24v

Sylvania 24E is a 24v with similar amp draw as a WE K2. They also put out a decent light at 24v.

Fabius

Quote from: trainman on June 20, 2017, 09:49:59 PM
RE: Switchboard lamps.

Mine came with 48v 2Y bulbs installed. Too dim running from 24v.  I found some JKL 35A1.  Theu are 35v.  Similar amp draw as the 2Y.  Not too bad running at 24v

Sylvania 24E is a 24v with similar amp draw as a WE K2. They also put out a decent light at 24v.

I checked a few of the bulbs and they are K2.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Fabius on June 20, 2017, 10:58:39 PM
I checked a few of the bulbs and they are K2.
You need to check the cord supervisory lamps and the CO trunk unit line lamps in addition to the EXT line lamps.  BSP states all should be K2 for operation at 16-52V, or 2Y for 44-52V "if the tel. co. approves".