News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Brass faceplate on the transmitter turns out to be nickel covered in gold spray-paint.  

Here's a tip-make that brassed-out candlestick lamp live again with a coat of gold spray-paint!!!

Update-actually it's a nickel faceplate that was painted black, brassed out then painted gold.

The receiver cap is glued on working on that next
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

Anyone ever seen one of these before? From the WE box behind it, this looks like WE made a Pink 500 phone lamp. I have seen the Mickey and Snoopy phones with lamps. Love the handset cord that is wrapped around the light pole. This is really different....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/6dvftdu  ( dead link 03-21-21 )
Kidphone

jsowers

Yes, this seller has the same WE box behind lots of his refurbished items, so it's not the original box. Look at this auction...

http://cgi.ebay.com/160613247136

The above Frankenphone isn't even a WE phone, but it has a Bell System number card and painted plastics. I think there are lots of monsters coming from the good Doctor's la-BOR-atory.

I also have to wonder how well the ringer in that pink lamp phone works with that AC cord sitting between the bells. The coil cord up the lamp post is a good idea to make it match better, but I think this one is strictly made up from parts.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Good detective work, Jonathan!  The old put-it-next-to-a-Western Electric-box trick.  :)

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on July 15, 2011, 01:38:00 PM
Good detective work, Jonathan!  The old put-it-next-to-a-Western Electric-box trick.  :)
Fooled me....I thought it was the real deal. Not that it is that hard to fool me ;D....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Early 20B with "Hershey's Kiss" perch and knurled thumbscrew

Screw shaft

Wooden Base

Cast Iron stem bolt
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The lamp conversion was done is such a way as the phone was unharmed.  The receiver is a Chicago that is broken.  I am having difficulty removing the perch from the shaft.  I unscrewed the screw but it will not budge.  DO I need to unscrew the the stem bolt?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Is that a #22 candlestick?  Good catch!
Dave

Sargeguy

It's an early 20-B with the patent dates.  It has not been converted from a 22.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

The stem looks like a #22 - I think you have to remove that screw in the side of the shaft to lift the perch off.
Dave

Sargeguy

Early 20-Bs had the same style perch.  I tried the screw but it won't budge.  I hope it wasn't "re-engineered" when it was made into a lamp.

UPDATEA few taps with the hammer on the bottom bracket did the trick.  The culprit: excessive use of electrical tape.  Still this was a very "low-impact" conversion with no damage except the missing wiring.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

http://tinyurl.com/663r64j ( dead link 03-21-21 )
Kidphone

Greg G.

They must be getting some responses from upset phone collectors (I don't want to call it "hate mail").  

QuoteCLASSIC ROTARY PHONE LOVERS, this is what we were thinking: This phone was in sad and non-working order when we got it.  We specialize in upcycling discarded items into something new and hopefully useful.  We've left all the parts inside. No phone was seriously hurt in the making of this lamp.

We took this vintage rotary dial phone and gave it a new life.  There are battle scars inherent to both is age and unknown background.  I have attempted to provide close ups so you know what you are buying.

A new cord and in-line rotary switch controls the frosted C7 bulbs in the handset. The black spiral cord is original to the phone and hides a new gooseneck lamp pipe which keeps the handset suspended above the phone. The rotary dial works nicely.

Bulbs included.

Well, maybe it can still be saved.  What make/model of phone is it, anyway?  The cradle and switch hook plunger look similar to my Stromberg-Carlson 1216, so I'm going to guess that it's a single-line version of my S/C.  I sounds like at the most, it just needs a handset now.  Unless it's super rare, I'll pass on the $89 price tag.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

rdelius

Stromberg Carlson 1212.If not too hacked, not a bad price.Handset caps can be easily replaced. I would be afraid to put 120v through an old coiled handset cord.
Robby

AE_Collector

Since they went to the trouble to put a small conduit inside the coil cord to hold the handset as pictured I would assume a proper lamp cord is inside to supply the bulbs.

Presumably the phone is painted not solid colored or it would truly be a tragedy.

Terry