News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stupid question on "new" IP phone at work

Started by HarrySmith, January 16, 2013, 03:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I have a really stupid question about the phone on my desk at work. It is an IP phone, I believe. Inter-Tel 550-4500 is the model. The question I have is how to change the name displayed on my extension. I moved into a bigger office and the phone displays "Warranty" next to the extension number. When I make an internal call it also displays that to whoever I call. I have asked and no one seems to know how to change it. There are a number of people here that have names on thier extensions that are not thiers. Anyone familiar with this type of phone??
Thanks!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Owain

It might be set in the phone, or the phone might download settings from a central server on boot-up, or the whole thing could be running live from a server.

If your system administrator hasn't set up staff permissions (usually through a browser interface to the server) to change things, the sysadmin will have to do it.

Phonesrfun

Where I work, the IT (Information Technology) department is in charge of the computers and the phones.  Ours is also an IP based phone system with all the whistles and bells possible.  In fact, they could not have designed a more complex system if they tried.

Except for my personal speed dial list, and maybe a couple very insignificant other items, nearly all the set-up parameters are kept in a data base that the system administrators only have access to.

My company is pretty large and has its own department that handles all these kinds of things.  If yours is a small company, then the contractor who installed the phone system is probably responsible for maintaining the programming aspects.

-Bill G

poplar1

What happens if you move your old phone to the new location?

Comdial had this option on some of their key systems. (Customers could move their own phones and keep all the programming as it was in their old office.) I always left that option off because I thought someone might see a cleaner phone in a vacant office and decide to move it to his office. Then they would call in a trouble saying their phone was ringing on the wrong lines, etc.

This was a problem even with 564 rotary multi-line sets. They would move a phone then say the numbers written on the phone did not correspond to the actual numbers.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

twocvbloke

Take a wet fish to the IT/Comms department and slap someone with it until they sort it out, they're usually quite lazy in those departments cos all they have to do most of the day is click a mouse several times... :D

AE_Collector

If it is VoIP you should be able take your phone with you as David said. All of the smarts are tied to your phone, not the jack like conventional PBX phones.

Terry

dsk

You may need a password, this 2 manuals may help.
When you has solved it, or given up: Tell us!

dsk

Doug Rose

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 17, 2013, 01:43:36 AM
Take a wet fish to the IT/Comms department and slap someone with it until they sort it out, they're usually quite lazy in those departments cos all they have to do most of the day is click a mouse several times... :D
Over 35 years in IT/Telecom/Systems. Offense taken  :o  Watch out for those Comms guys, whatever they might be as I'm too lazy to look it up  :P Click a mouse a couple of times a day  ???

To quote my hero........ Buggs Bunny..........."what a maroon" >:(
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I had already downloaded and gone through those 2 manuals and a couple of others to no avail.
Turns out all it took was an email to the administrator, she changed it no problem.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Owain

ITYM the "exchange supervisor" if she's a she.  :D