News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell System Fire Extinguisher

Started by Russ Kirk, January 24, 2018, 04:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Kirk

Interesting find in my adventures. It is still in use in a Central Office.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

HarrySmith

Very Cool! I count 6 inspection labels. Last one in June 2017. I wonder what the earliest one is dated?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Interesting, it's a single or narrow purpose extinguisher.

Holds 2.5 gallons of water charged to 100 psi to spray on wood, paper and trash (from info on the bottle).

Wonder where they would use those, offices?

twocvbloke

I wouldn't trust it, it was tested by the Marx brothers...  ;D

Russ Kirk

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 24, 2018, 04:20:34 PM
Very Cool! I count 6 inspection labels. Last one in July 2017. I wonder what the earliest one is dated?

I took the photo before July 2017.

Thank John for fixing the photo. Ipad photo uploads dont always work for me.i have to post the message the go back and upload a photo. It could be the photo size. But the ipad auto aligns some photos but not all. Thanks again.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

HarrySmith

Thanks for catching my mistake. It was June not July.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

kb3pxr

As you can see off to the side there is a Carbon Dioxide extinguisher. Carbon dioxide is good for electrical fires and fires with oils and does not require clean up. However, carbon dioxide is not good on fires of standard combustibles (trash can fires, etc). In a central office, your primary portable extinguisher would normally be the CO2, but if there is no electricity where the fire is and the fire is standard combustibles (furniture, trash cans, etc) the water extinguisher is the ideal choice.

A water extinguisher is also the easiest (and probably cheapest) to recharge after use as well, these are literally filled with water and pressurized with air to 100 PSI, the rest of it is paperwork for the fire code compliance.