"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Little Green Lantern

Started by Pourme, February 09, 2018, 04:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

I know this isn't a big find, but these lanterns keep finding me. I am in the process of cleaning out my late Father-N-Law's place and ran across this lantern still wrapped in shrink wrap. My first thought was of my forum lantern buddies. It's not terribly old and has NO markings at all on it, save the one sticker. (Sorry it slipped sideways) I expected to at least find a "China" stamp somewhere. It stands only about 10" tall.

I would call it NOS.

Benny

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

twocvbloke

Looks like a green version of my little silver lanterns, cheap, useable, if it breaks, buy another... :)

TelePlay

Seems there are more than a few companies making these cheap but functional lanterns for the poor in impoverished areas. The style of the green looks more like that of the Czech Republic Meva 864 Kerosene Lantern and not so much like the far eastern Hope No. 500 Korean Made Lantern (which is made in one factory, I think but can't prove, in the far east but the dies for the tank and fuel cap are changed so the wholesale buyer can import and sell them to Korea, Japan and China, the ones I've seen out of the far east so far.

The first image is the Czech Republic style Lantern by itself and again as the silver lantern in the center to show how small these are. The red on the left is the Hope lantern, this one marked Korea but identical to Japan and China Hope 500 lanterns.

The loops for the bail, the handle, are more similar to the Czech lantern as is the wire cage used to hold the globe.

Surprised there are no stampings on the green lantern (top of the fuel tank, the top cap or the fuel cap) so maybe it was made by an off shore company for distribution in the US without marking some time ago. It was nice of them to put the maximum fuel lever line on the lantern (right Al?) to prevent a runaway fireball.

They are cheap but they are good metal and painted. If the globe is clear, no color flashing issues to deal with..

Are you going to light it up?

twocvbloke

Had to look for the picture I took of my 4 lanterns, and comparing to the green one, I'd say they're the same (or at least, made on similar tooling)... :)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14712.msg154283#msg154283

Pourme

~

John,
Light it up? I don't know. Now that I'm the proud owner of two lanterns, I suppose that makes me a collector.

I may fire them up one night poolside.

Who knows how many I may have in my "collection" by then!

twocyclebloke,
They do look very much like my green one. They don't appear to have any stamping on them either. How tall are they?
Benny

twocvbloke

Quote from: Pourme on February 09, 2018, 07:28:50 PM
They do look very much like my green one. They don't appear to have any stamping on them either. How tall are they?

Not including the hanger loop, mine are about 9.5 Inches tall... :)

Pourme

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 09, 2018, 07:40:26 PM
Not including the hanger loop, mine are about 9.5 Inches tall... :)

I believe they are exactly the same. Do you recall where you got them?
Benny

twocvbloke

Quote from: Pourme on February 09, 2018, 07:45:41 PM
I believe they are exactly the same. Do you recall where you got them?

Ebay, this seller, but not the same listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171696740662

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on February 09, 2018, 07:28:50 PM
Now that I'm the proud owner of two lanterns, I suppose that makes me a collector.

twocvbloke,

Yes, twocv's are identical in every way except for color.

The eBay seller seems to have an updated version, the fuel cap and the globe cage.

And here is the Collector's Rule of Thumb.

Initially you have one,
Then you have two,
Then you  have 4,
Then you have 8,
Then you have 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1028, 2024, 4048, 8096, etc . . . until some day you will have all there are in the world . . .   ;)

I sent a message to that eBay seller asking them where they come from and who makes them. I might get an answer. Probably Alibaba.

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on February 09, 2018, 08:21:53 PMThe eBay seller seems to have an updated version, the fuel cap and the globe cage.

If you look at where the burner is supposed to be, you'll note it's actually a picture of an LED lantern (which they also sold back when I bought my 4), which is the wrong picture, but they used the same pic on mine, so I guess they think it's okay, the filler cap has been replaced with a switch, hence why that looks different, and presumably, there's a battery access door in the base too... :)

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 09, 2018, 08:29:15 PM
If you look at where the burner is supposed to be, you'll note it's actually a picture of an LED lantern (which they also sold back when I bought my 4), which is the wrong picture, but they used the same pic on mine, so I guess they think it's okay, the filler cap has been replaced with a switch, hence why that looks different, and presumably, there's a battery access door in the base too... :)

That's a deceptive listing and it does not have an option to buy LED or fuel. They only have silver and navy colors left. The eBay image shows the silver has the LED with fuel tank switch. All the colored lanterns have a wick in place (all taken from the back so the fuel cap is not seen).

They are selling them as "Hurricane Storm Lantern Light Oil Parafin Camping Lamp" and the description says:

Product Description

Hurricane Paraffin Lanterns

Features:
- Long lasting emergency lighting solution
- Refillable 
- Fueled by smokeless paraffin 
- Windproof glass flame cover 
- Glass cover lifts to allow easy lighting 
- Adjustable wick 
- Screw fit fuel reservoir and safety chain   
- Vented top cover   
- Carry handle    Light construction   
- Height: 24cm approx   Width: 17cm approx   Diameter: 12cm approx

Nothing in the description says battery or LED or switch. So, what are they selling, the wick version of the LED version?

I think they screwed up and put a picture of the LED type in the ad by mistake and anyone buying one would be getting a liquid fuel lantern.

twocvbloke

Like I say, when I bought mine, they were using the same picture, but the description and title were for a set of paraffin lanterns, and that's what I got, it's just that they haven't picked up on that wrong picture, but I doubt that people pay as much attention to them as we do... :)

TelePlay

Got this from the eBay seller:

"UK and no sorry.

Kind Regards
Customer Services "

which I find interesting in that there is a place in the UK that still stamps these out of steel and paints them? But, he doesn't know who. Strange, if you know where they were made, you would know the company, right?

Walmart sells a similar lantern for $6-$10 wrapped in the similar shrink wrap. Next time I'm in there, I'll look them over well for similarities and where made.

Pourme

~
"Initially you have one,
Then you have two,
Then you  have 4,
Then you have 8,
Then you have 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1028, 2024, 4048, 8096, etc . . . until some day you will have all there are in the world . . .
"

.....then you die~
Benny

rdelius

I have a Chalwyn Tropic.lantern. Made in England.About 1 foot or so tall.I bought it used 1n 1972. Because the  Boy Scouts would not allow pressuresed lanterns