News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early AE Flush Type Wall Phone ?

Started by stub, April 10, 2012, 02:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

I got this off the e place the other day.
                 This phone uses the series circuit - has a dial with 2 impluse contacts and 2 shunting contacts with no Id on the dial anywhere. The hookswich has 3 contacts. The capacitor is stamped Automatic Electric - D-6891  - MF. 2 -  2  29. The transmitter is stamped on the back but can't be read. The receiver is the DC type with a weighted receiver shell. The position of the transmitter and dial is opposite from the pictures in all the AE catalogs that I have. If you have anymore information about this phone please post it.
                  It had a shorted capacitor , replaced , now it works .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Phonesrfun

Wow, that is truly an neat find!

It looks like you are going to be the resident expert on the AE series-circuit phones.
-Bill G

stub

Bill,
     Expert ----- at forgetting  ??? Without a diagram I'm just about useless.
    Here's the transmitter out of this phone. Does anyone have a pic of the early AE Candlestick transmitter. The 4 holes for the cup are drilled but not tapped. I have not seen one that comes apart like this one. It is not working too good . I have slapped, shaken, beat and held upright and it still has frying in it and it is all over the ohm scale on my meter.
     Anyone ever had one like this apart?  Well no better than it works we might have to see  ;D   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

I noticed every time I gently ::) banged it on the table , that carbon was falling out one of the screw holes . So I went in for a look see. The felt seal was letting the carbon fall out to the inside of the transmitter. I took some sewing thread and went around the felt seal on the bottom ten or eleven times to maybe make it seal tighter and added a little paper, dash of carbon and will know after while if I did any good.
                                                                                                                                        stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Well 8), works like a new one!!!!! Frying is completely gone.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Phonesrfun

I once sacrificed a couple of T1's to extract the carbon for the transmitter in my Strowger wood wall phone.  It worked great.  Great minds think alike.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Did you ever figure out a model number or Catalog number for this one Stub?

Terry

stub

Terry,
         Still don't know model or cat # .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Pourme

Did you install it in a wall? Pics?...I love that phone!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

stub

Pourme ,
              No I haven't . The metal wall boxes are too rich for my pocket . E-Bay item # 232468921615
        stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

HarrySmith

You can always build your own box out of wood!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub on October 24, 2017, 01:16:34 AM
Pourme ,
              No I haven't . The metal wall boxes are too rich for my pocket . E-Bay item # 232468921615
        stub

Coming up empty on that eBay item number?

Terry

TelePlay

AE_Collector

Geez...with that "lot" was a BIN at $125!

Not sure why I came up empty trying to put the item number in the eBay search box. Always worked in the past.

Terry