News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unusually Nice Western Electric 51AL Candlestick on CL

Started by SUnset2, April 16, 2022, 08:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUnset2

This is a Western Electric 51AL candlestick telephone that I bought today from a Craigslist seller.  I know these are a pretty common phone, but quite iconic.

It wasn't a super bargain at $100, but I thought it was well worth it because of the condition, and it being a local phone.

And the cost went up because it was about 35 miles away, so I used a good bit of gasoline.  And while I was up there I had lunch with my cousin, so another $20.  It was still worth it.

It appears to be 100% original.  The paint is in very good condition, there are a couple of worn spots on the base cord, but not particularly noticeable.  No chips on the receiver or mouthpiece.  The ringer is missing from the subset, but I'm pretty sure I have a spare.

The original number card is from the ELliott exchange.  The seller said it had come out of the Arctic Building in downtown Seattle, which makes sense.

BTW, the ELliott exchange was opened by an independent telephone company in 1902.  It was bought by Pacific Telephone in 1912.  It was converted from CB to Panel in 1924.  So this phone was probably installed in 1924, or not long after.  In 1958 Seattle went to 7 digit dialing, and ELliott changed to MAin 3.

TelePlay

The dial alone is worth more than $100. Subsets range from $60 to $100. You got a good buy there.

Pourme

~

You had to buy that.
Sounds like you had a very good day!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

NorthernElectric

Cliff

FABphones

That phone is in my top five 'would like' list. I would have bought it in a heartbeat. And that dialcard makes it even nicer.

Would you add a photo of the dialcard to enable us to print a copy?

FOTM!

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble