News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Automatic Electric Starlite

Started by Craig T, February 25, 2010, 06:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

Can someone please advise on which dial card would be period correct for this phone, thank you! -Craig

I figured out how to take off the dial, in an article about 6 down. It has an album by Jorge that contained a web address right to the tech page on finger wheel removal.

http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/ae/ae_blanks_forms.html

Also see I have this under the wrong heading. I have requested a move already  :P

Phonesrfun

I would try again. 

Sometimes it is hard to hit the "catch" with a pin or paperclip just right.  At home I have a GTE Practice that described this dial and its removal, but I am sure it is just like WE, only the hole is at the 6 instead of the 9.  I can look later when I get home from work.

-Bill G

Craig T

Sorry Bill, I just figured it out. I had found a link to a tech page in one of Jorge's picture albums. I should have looked around first.

I found some good sticker paper to print on, but I wanted to get the right card on it. This is the only AE phone I have.

Thanks for your help Bill.

-Craig

JorgeAmely

Craig:

I am mailing you two copies of the original card in my Dark Blue AE80. Just cut along the dotted line with an Exacto knife. It is easy to see the registration created by AE for either the modern finger wheel you have (one piece) or the older AE wheel with several parts.
Jorge

Craig T

Yes! That will look awesome! This phone is getting the full treatment as we speak. It is cleaning up nicely. Your card will provide the finishing touch. Thank You Jorge!  :)

-Craig

Dennis Markham

Craig, is that "Seafoam Green" which looks a lot like W.E. Turquoise?

Craig T

Hi Dennis, yes this is the Sea Foam green. The color is pretty nice, but I think I can lift a haze off of this one and make is even brighter. Once I got the case off I noticed that there is a pretty vast difference between the area on the base that was covered and uncovered. One is bright the other has a smoky tinge.

I notice under a strong light that it has that dirty yellow smoke tinge to it too. Still a nice phone, someone took good care of it.

Greg G.

Quote from: Craig T on February 25, 2010, 06:36:12 PM
Can someone please advise on which dial card would be period correct for this phone, thank you! -Craig

I don't think any of them will fit anyway.  It's the same fingerwheel as the AE 80 and 90s, and I found that my supply of repros didn't fit.  Here's what was in my AE 90:

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Craig T

Good point Briny, I see there are none of them at all like that on there with the tabs. Well Jorge I will thank you again!

Whoever had it last decided to superglue the dang card on  :P That stuff had to be lightly flaked off with a screwdriver. I tried my best solvent on it first. The finger wheel has damage here and there to start with and could be replaced. Good enough for now, unless that dial light gets hooked up, then I will break down for something new.

foots

Wish I had a better picture, but.... 
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Craig T

Looks great from Michigan!! Excellent phone Foots, I like it!

JorgeAmely

Craig:

Try Steve Hilsz in AZ for a new finger wheel. That is where I have purchased mine before. They are brand new and reasonably priced.

Jorge

Craig T

I am gonna do that for sure Jorge. After cleaning this one up and looking it over, there are spider cracks in several places on the edge of the dial. The card window also took a couple scratches removing the super glue.

Jim Stettler

My worst example of packing were 2 500 sets in the same box. That is 2-500 sets w/ the handsets wrapped  on the cradle w/ the line cords, in a beat-up box  (no packing what-so-ever). Surprisingly, the only damage (besides extra scratches) was a damaged hollow fingerwheel.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

foots

Quote from: Craig T on February 27, 2010, 11:58:42 AM
Looks great from Michigan!! Excellent phone Foots, I like it!

We can thank Mr. Dan/Panther for that photo. I really like the Starlites. Besides looking good, the sound is loud and quality is excellant. I liked this phone so much that I also got a wall version. 

"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"