News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Yellow soft plastic 500

Started by JimHyak, April 14, 2014, 08:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimHyak

Not sure if this is a good fit for this category, but mr moderators can move it around if needed.
I have been trying to collect all the original 500 colors in soft plastic. Through some good luck and some spending too much $, I have at least decent examples of all, including dark gray and brown, except yellow! All the yellows I see (and own) seem to be late 60s or 70s. Are soft plastic yellow 500s actually rare? Maybe if one shows up on eBay and sells for $1k maybe they will appear in great quantities, but what am I missing? Did the early yellows all get refurbed? Am I just looking in all the wrong places? Lastly, anyone have a spare they would like to sell?
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

AE40FAN

Jim,

I have been searching for a soft yellow for quite some time.   I almost had one last year but, then it was stolen off my doorstep last year during delivery never to be found.   I've seen a couple since on Ebay go for around $75-$125. 

Gilas

There were a couple in the last month sell or between 50 and 90 on Ebay in various conditions

WEBellSystemChristian

Dang, there's one that's been circulating around Craigslist for awhile, and I tried contacting the seller about it, but he has never responded. It's probably still there, but I can't remember the exact title of the listing.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

JimHyak

Ok so not impossible to find but I guess I've just missed them. Doesn't seem like colors and models run in waves on eBay? I wonder if a 500 or 302 fetches a big price, does it draw others to list theirs?
Jim
It's not hoarding if you have cool stuff!

baldopeacock

I found my '55 yellow with gray handset cord at an antique store, priced at $35 and couldn't get it to the cash register fast enough.   Only time I've seen a phone in that place that wasn't common and overpriced.   Only thing missing is the original line cord.   A previous owner "improved" it with a silver satin modular cord.  They did leave a consolation prize, though - they pried the -55 dated retainer off the original cord and hammered it onto the silver satin. :o 

I've considered listing it on eBay but I don't think I'd get what it's worth (to me, anyway).   Other than the missing gray line cord it's pretty nice and still has its original number card.

Dan

I have a spare soft yellow. Slight crack in front left corner. Superglued and stable.A little roughness on left side.  Dated 11-57 on back and 10-30-57 on  headset elements. Nice original, fat handset cord.  Pictures available if interested. I Can send you pictures  Shoot me a price with a private message if interested .. Thanks
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright