"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Painted 554 for $28

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, March 12, 2016, 01:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southernphoneman

Quote from: jsowers on March 16, 2016, 12:23:42 PM
Thanks for listing all the facts. I have a couple clarifications...

The black 554s could be had with straight cords or optional coil cords, but the color 554s always came with coil cords. I remember seeing that in a BSP, but I don't have it handy at the moment. I'll look for it and report back.

Also my evidence suggests the chrome switchhook was shiny at first and then in 1956 became satin finished. My ivory 554 from 8-55 has a shiny switchhook. Our 554 inventory done a while back seemed to indicate that the satin chrome switchhook was likely introduced in 1956 when all the other colors came on board and then it was gone by 1957. Are there pictures of any other 1955 color 554s for reference? I posted mine below.

Publications from 1955 show that the black 554 came with a straight cord and the ivory 554 was introduction around the second half of 1955 because they continue to show the ivory 354 in the WE catalog side buy side with the black 554.

As far as a 1954 554 goes, I'll believe it when I see it.
Here is a photo of one of my 554'S this one being from 12/55, it has the satin hookswitch cradle, i hope this provides any info you are looking for,it once had the original handset cord which was coiled.

Dennis Markham

With regard to the discussion in this thread about housings with only one cord slot, I looked through some more of my 554's today.  I have two black ones from May and June of 1955.  Both of those have only one cord slot and the ribs on the side.  The May of 1955 has a satin hook and the June of '55, which is still in the original box and NOS has the painted black hook.

Of the phones in color from that time period I found one Red 554 dated 9/1955 that has the single cord slot.  It has the satin hook.

There was discussion in this thread, with examples from member's collections as to what color/type of hook is on their various 554's.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1568.15

~Dennis

HarrySmith

Since we are on the subject of early 554's...does anyone have a Black housing for one that you would be willing to part with? The 1955 554 I picked up at the Maitland show earlier this year has a later case and I would like to replace it. Thanks for checking your parts stash!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

The real problem with finding a 1955 chassis was that plastics from 1957 or later don't fit correctly on the base, so I would have to part out an original 1955 554. Not what I want! :-\

I found this lot of 2 phones the other day for $15 on eBay, and one has a December 1955 554 chassis, perfect for my housing! The 554 looks like it has '70s Beige plastics, which I can use for parts someday. The other phone is an early-mod Green Trimline which I can use the base for a Green 1220 handset I have. Perfect lot for me!

Also, does anyone have a spare satin chrome 554 cradle, or an Ivory Tenite handset that I can install on this phone?

www.ebay.com/itm/222146823575
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

This entire time, I was wondering: where am I going to find a spare satin switchhook?!? If I do find a phone with one for a reasonable price, chances are it will be an early one in great shape, and I couldn't bring myself to tear into it.

Well, the tides turned! I made an offer on a black 554 with the satin hook for $40 (it says $59, but that was the BiN price) on eBay. What I like about this one is that the chassis looks to be from 1958, long after the satin hook was discontinued, meaning this hook is a replacement!

Now all I need is a 1955 Ivory handset and cord!

www.ebay.com/itm/201736227824
Christian Petterson

jsowers

Good switchhook spotting, Christian!

On that black 554, what do you think is the significance of the vermilion stamp on the back that's 17X125 9? Maybe that's refurb code for "replaced with older switchhook?" Strange indeed. I have an ivory 55 554 with the opposite problem--a replaced thick chrome switchhook, or so it seems. I guess they did that when necessary. But how did those monster switchhooks break in the first place? They're about as strong as a pair of vise grips.
Jonathan

WEBellSystemChristian

I think that may just be the refurb date: December 17th, 1959? I only see that once in awhile on 554s, never on 500s.

I once saw a later thin hook that was broken in half (don't ask me how), but I couldn't see a reason for the earlier ones to break. It's possible that when the handset and cord were replaced in the '70s, the original hook could have been showing signs of surface corrosion, and the installer/refurb shop replaced the hook with one that was in better shape.
Christian Petterson

HarrySmith

If that black one has a 55 housing I would buy it from you.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Oh yeah, I remember that '55 black-switchhook 554 you bought, Harry!

I doubt it's that early, but if it is, I'll let you know as soon as it arrives.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

I received the phone in the mail yesterday...

The switchhook was near perfect, and is now sitting on my '55 Ivory.

Sorry Harry, the housing isn't a '55 Black. It's actually a painted '58 Light Gray! :o I have some spare Light Gray parts; a soft plastic bezel, handset cord (1961 IIRC) and a soft plastic receiver cap. I still need the handle and transmitter cap, but I will otherwise have a near complete Light Gray 554! :)
Christian Petterson

RotarDad

I just reread this entire thread - what a great forum community we have!  What started in March with Christian stating:

"I walked into a very familiar antique store today......."

has developed into a deep dive into early 554 history that is very interesting and another great archive for collectors.  Merry Christmas to All!!
Paul