"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Few Phones.... 302's and a 5302 - George Knighton

Started by George Knighton, December 21, 2012, 09:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Knighton

Some recent additions.

Pictures are from the eBay auctions.  I don't even have these items yet, but they're on the way.

The Imperial came from somebody on the Singing Wires list, Walt Aydelotte.  Just wanted one of these in the collection, and this one seemed decent and not very expensive.  It does not seem to have a network in the base, but it has a modular end so I'm not quite sure what's going on with that.

I have some 302 bases, and I ordered two covers from Ray to slap together my own subsets.

The NE Model 2...I don't know.  These are just better looking than the 352/354 equivalents, it seems to me.  Strange looking but attractive, in a way.  I think the WE 302 looks better than the Model 1, but the Model 2 is better than the WE 354.  Dunno...just personal taste.

The Ivory 515....  I want a couple of 500's in the collection that represent the epitome of the rotary era.  :-)  It's a two line phone with an exclusion plunger, late era modular.

Annoying new poster.

DavePEI

Hi George:

You are going to have to modify your tagline :).  The Uniphone #2 is a nice phone, and I can understand your liking it better than a Uniphone #1. The Imperial would plug into a subset, then on to the line from the subset... Of course, the subset would have to be wired with a matching connector for the phone.

Usually, many of them have the old 4 pin connector on them, but the connector on it will do fine if you are careful to plug it into the subset, and not the wall...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

George Knighton

Wow.  That 515BM turned out to be NOS!

Arrived in the OEM box, and in parts.  Cords still in plastic, hand set and base wrapped separately.

It's tempting to think about leaving everything wrapped in plastic and just putting it away somewhere, but in my heart I know that as soon as I send this message I'm going to put it together and start using it.

I think I found my one and only 500-type to be using in the house.  :-)
Annoying new poster.

twocvbloke

Quote from: George Knighton on January 23, 2013, 11:49:14 AMIt's tempting to think about leaving everything wrapped in plastic and just putting it away somewhere, but in my heart I know that as soon as I send this message I'm going to put it together and start using it.

I know the feeling, I hate buying NOS stuff and leaving it in a box, the only NOS thing I have that I have left in the box is an NEC DB2000 mobile phone, mainly cos I bought two as a pair, used one and stored the other, but recently tried the used one, and it's killed it's own firmware, so, I'm tempted to pull out the NOS one and play with that instead... :D

DavePEI

Quote from: George Knighton on January 18, 2013, 12:49:26 PM
The NE Model 2...I don't know.  These are just better looking than the 352/354 equivalents, it seems to me.  Strange looking but attractive, in a way.  I think the WE 302 looks better than the Model 1, but the Model 2 is better than the WE 354.  Dunno...just personal taste.
Glad to see you appreciate the beauty of a Uniphone #2 - that is what Northern referred to them as. I am a great fan of Uniphones, and have several of every model and of each colour except the rarest, ivory. I also have some of mine with NU and NF handsets. The Uniphones were very heavy bakelite, and could survive just about anything. Other than their oblong design and unique NE handset variations, they were basically 302s.

Nice 515BM,  also.

Congratulations!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

George Knighton

Quote from: DavePEI on January 23, 2013, 03:32:00 PM
Glad to see you appreciate the beauty of a Uniphone #2 - that is what Northern referred to them as. I am a great fan of Uniphones, and have several of every model and of each colour except the rarest, ivory. I also have some of mine with NU and NF handsets. The Uniphones were very heavy bakelite, and could survive just about anything. Other than their oblong design and unique NE handset variations, they were basically 302s.

I have got to stop buying phones, I know, but one thing that's still on my list is a brown Uniphone #2.  :-)
Annoying new poster.

DavePEI

Quote from: George Knighton on January 23, 2013, 04:16:00 PM
I have got to stop buying phones  :-)
That is what I told myself 15 years ago  :) Its an addiction! There's always just one more!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

George Knighton

More stuff that Vern Potter allowed me to snag from out of his storage room. 

They're going to need work, and heaven only knows when I'll get around to it.  (Just when is the next Domesday, anyway?)

The black phone appears to be a two-line version of a 5302, which'll be nice once I get it set up right.  I have a Bakelite G1 handset with inserts that I might use instead of the F1 handset, if I decide it's a phone that I want to put into daily use at some point.  Otherwise, I'll just polish up the F1 that Vern included.

One of the grey is a two-line, and one of them is a volume control unit.  Both very interesting.  One of them is already almost clean, but both of them need a little wiring help.

I suspect that both of the grey will be very nice when they are finished.

The 532 is from 2/59 and the 510 is from 5/70.  I hope the fat grey handset cords are good and stay good!

I haven't looked at the line dates on the 5302 yet, and there's probably no point in reporting the other dates.  :-)
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Funny how the collecting has started with the 302 and variants, and then went earlier to the 202 and variants, and now it's gone forward into the 500's.

The only thing touch tone that's attracted me so far is that I got a Beophone to see what the fuss was about.  It works great and looks good, but it doesn't look any better, work any better or sound any better than a cheap Western Electric 500.
Annoying new poster.

unbeldi

Quote from: George Knighton on February 17, 2013, 12:53:12 PM
The black phone appears to be a two-line version of a 5302, which'll be nice once I get it set up right.

The two-line version had the model number 5410.

George Knighton

Couple of additions from over the weekend.

The 500U does not have the mushroom cap or the power supply, but it was cheap relative to mushroom phones and I have enough power supplies left over from the Princess 701/702 experiments that I should be able to find help here getting the light working.

I remember seeing a few references to where to buy a new cap for the light, too, and white should be one of the easier things to get.

The 1958 500CD is for daily use in one of the grey offices.  The grey rooms have white trim and it just looks good having white phones in them.  :-)

Annoying new poster.

Dennis Markham

Nice buy on the white "Mushroom" phone, George.  I was gone most of the day yesterday and had intended on making a bid.  I logged in 9 minutes after the auction ended.  I should have used a remote program to enter my bid but didn't.  So I saved you some money! :)    The man that makes, or used to make duplicates mushroom caps is John LaRose. Check out this thread for his information:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3401.0

It's a few years old.  He makes them in Black and White.  I have one in black.

~Dennis

George Knighton

Thanks very much.  I've dropped a line to John LaRose and Dan, based on what I saw in that thread.  :-)
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

This isn't a phone, but you need furniture at some point.  :-)  Been looking for something like this for a while now, and the eBay antiques guy accepted my offer for it.

Not sure this is enough to make me finally buy my first candlestick phone, or if I'll put a little lamp on the round pedestal!

Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Colour's not quite perfect yet, but not too bad. 

Annoying new poster.