News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Good way to clean WE plastic 500/2500 phone housings?

Started by Holtzer-Cabot, October 13, 2016, 06:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holtzer-Cabot

Hi there! Your one and only 14 year old phone collector is here! As some of you know i recently got a bunch of phones at a garage sale, and one of them is a beige WE 2500, and it has the usual amount of dust and sticky grime and dirt on the housing. What is the best way to clean up these phones? Soap and water, or something else? Thanks! :)
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

jsowers

I've had good results with denatured alcohol and a paper towel, but only on the hard plastic (post-1959 for color sets, post 1964 for black 500s). I use window cleaner and a paper towel first to get the surface grime off and then go over it with denatured alcohol and then the paint spots and imbedded grime come off. It also gets off stickers and goo. It will take off paint, so be sure the phone isn't painted or test on an inconspicuous place. It also cleans the cords beautifully. No soaking required and it dries quickly.

If the phone isn't shiny enough--everyone has his own preference here--I use Novus 2 polish to shine it up. Usually that's only needed on soft plastic (1953-59 color sets) because I have to use automotive rubbing compound to get the grime off and they come out dull and need the polish.

Christian has had good luck resurfacing soft plastic phones--as in smoothing out gouges--with denatured alcohol. I haven't tried that yet.
Jonathan

twocvbloke

With my phones, I've just used lukewarm water and dish soap with a cloth or sponge (the sort without the abrasive side!), anything too warm can cause the plastic to oxidise which just looks awful, then rinse off under cold water and towel dry...

Use the same method to wash vinyl records too, but using a microfibre cloth instead of a sponge... :)

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: jsowers on October 13, 2016, 08:57:12 PM
I've had good results with denatured alcohol and a paper towel, but only on the hard plastic (post-1959 for color sets, post 1964 for black 500s). I use window cleaner and a paper towel first to get the surface grime off and then go over it with denatured alcohol and then the paint spots and imbedded grime come off. It also gets off stickers and goo. It will take off paint, so be sure the phone isn't painted or test on an inconspicuous place. It also cleans the cords beautifully. No soaking required and it dries quickly.

If the phone isn't shiny enough--everyone has his own preference here--I use Novus 2 polish to shine it up. Usually that's only needed on soft plastic (1953-59 color sets) because I have to use automotive rubbing compound to get the grime off and they come out dull and need the polish.

Christian has had good luck resurfacing soft plastic phones--as in smoothing out gouges--with denatured alcohol. I haven't tried that yet.
Can I use isopropyl alcohol? It is an avocado green phone, I don't think it's painted, but I don't know for sure. Is there a way to tell?
Western Electric - A unit of the Bell System and main supplier of AT&T since 1882! -15 year old phone collector!

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: twocvbloke on October 13, 2016, 09:20:38 PM
With my phones, I've just used lukewarm water and dish soap with a cloth or sponge (the sort without the abrasive side!), anything too warm can cause the plastic to oxidise which just looks awful, then rinse off under cold water and towel dry...

Use the same method to wash vinyl records too, but using a microfibre cloth instead of a sponge... :)
Thank you, I will try this method soon! :)

unbeldi

I would simply use what you find under your kitchen sink.   I am a great fan of FANTASTIC, from the makers of Scrubbing Bubbles!

jsowers

Quote from: Holtzer-Cabot on October 13, 2016, 09:29:43 PM
Can I use isopropyl alcohol? It is a avocado green phone, I don't think it's painted, but I don't know for sure. Is there a way to tell?

Isopropyl alcohol isn't a strong enough solvent. You would just disinfect the phone and not clean it. You have to use a solvent to get off paint spots and sticker goo. Denatured alcohol is available at your nearest mom and pop hardware store and it's not expensive.

Warm soapy water is OK, but it will only work on the lightly soiled phones. The really putrid ones with label residue and paint drips require something stronger.
Jonathan

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: jsowers on October 13, 2016, 11:21:14 PM
Isopropyl alcohol isn't a strong enough solvent. You would just disinfect the phone and not clean it. You have to use a solvent to get off paint spots and sticker goo. Denatured alcohol is available at your nearest mom and pop hardware store and it's not expensive.

Warm soapy water is OK, but it will only work on the lightly soiled phones. The really putrid ones with label residue and paint drips require something stronger.
Okay, thanks for the info! This phone isn't badly dirty, it has no paint drips or stickers on it, just a bit of grime from use.

Holtzer-Cabot

Quote from: unbeldi on October 13, 2016, 10:05:34 PM
I would simply use what you find under your kitchen sink.   I am a great fan of FANTASTIC, from the makers of Scrubbing Bubbles!
That worked good! Sorry I forgot to reply to you!