News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pekin Red spray paint

Started by Pourme, October 21, 2016, 04:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I know there is no such thing, but what is the closest thing? Brand, color?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

oldguy

Not sure if this will help but some paint stores can match paint & put it in spray cans. Since you have a pekin red 302 they may be able to help you Benny.
Gary

Dan/Panther

That's a good idea Gary. Does Lowe's or Home depot do that. What do they charge ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

oldguy

Some automotive paint stores do.
Gary

Ktownphoneco

As Gary has pointed out, "some" automotive paint stores who supply body shops with paint, will load automotive paint into spray cans.    Most of these paint dealers with have paint catalogs containing paint chips of paint colors used throughout the industry, including GM, Ford, Chrysler and most imports.    Automotive body shops also have paint catalogs.    Most of these sources won't mind you looking through their paint catalogs if they can make a sale out of the deal.    Years ago when I decided to paint my own metal sets, I went to one of the paint supply stores in my area, trying to get a paint color that matched Western / Northern, Japan Black.    I was trying to avoid getting a metallic black, and something that was a truly deep black once it dried.    Looking through the paint catalogs, I finally came up with a "GM" color with a paint code of "WA8555", and I've used it ever since.

Jeff Lamb   

TelePlay

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on October 25, 2016, 11:10:05 AM
Years ago when I decided to paint my own metal sets, I went to one of the paint supply stores in my area, trying to get a paint color that matched Western / Northern, Japan Black.    I was trying to avoid getting a metallic black, and something that was a truly deep black once it dried.    Looking through the paint catalogs, I finally came up with a "GM" color with a paint code of "WA8555", and I've used it ever since.

Jeff,

Very interesting. I know they mix special blends for use by body shops to match faded colors and to pimp up those customized street rods. Some paints have to be sprayed on using a gun system. Others can be placed into a rattle can. So I guess any color within paint specs can be had in a can for money.

The black you buy, is it an enamel, epoxy or lacquer? Do you have to use a primer, and if so, what and where do you get it? Finally, do you oven bake the paint and if so, at what temperature and for how long? Sorry, just an inquiring mind always looking for a good thing.

Ktownphoneco

John    ....  I happened to bump into a body shop painter one day when I was in picking up some spray cans of the WA8555.     I asked him he'd mind sharing some painting information with me, and he was more than happy to do so.     He explained to me that there is more than one type of paint that painters use, but the majority of the cars / trucks he paints, use a base paint in whatever color code is called for.      He advises that the base color is added to the spray tank, followed by a liquid paint hardener.     It's then sprayed onto the vehicle being painted.    After a specific amount of drying time in the paint booth, he would then apply a clear coat which produces a high gloss shine, and acts as a paint protector.     He also explained that the type of paint can vary, and some vehicle painters prefer certain types of paints over others, because they develop a specific technique that works best for them using a particular type up paint, i.e., enamels, acrylics, lacquers, etc., etc.

The paint I use is loaded in the cans by the guy at the paint supply store, and I remember he told me once what it was, but I can't remember right at the moment.    I'll ask him again the next time I'm in the store.
Here are some pictures of the paint I use.    It's called "PlastiKote / Kustom-Kote", and it's made by Valspar Corp'n., in Wheeling, IL.    The cans only contain the propellant when they arrive at the paint dealer, until the actual paint is loaded into the can.    According to the label ( see picture ), it accepts enamels, vinyl and acrylic urethanes and lacquers.

Whatever is loaded into the can, is quite tough, and resists scratching and chipping fairly well.      As I'm sure your aware, one needs to develop a good painting technique for any spray paint, and this one is no different.      I've found that this paint will produce excellent results with 2 coats, and actually produces better results.      The second coat needs to be applied within 15 minutes of the first.
Primers :   Yes, I use one.   I use a product called "Pro-Form" Self Etching Primer - Light Gray.    It's made here in Canada, but I believe it's also sold in the U.S.A.   But there are a number of companies in the U.S.A. that make self etching primer, so it isn't difficult to locate.

Here are some pictures ( below ) of the paints I use.

Jeff