News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The REAL AE Forget-Me-Not Blue

Started by Greg G., November 16, 2009, 05:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Here's what it really looks like.  Compare that with my "green" AE, which was at one time FMN Blue (color code 30).

http://tinyurl.com/ylpk2cr
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

jsowers

Briny, that's a nice, unfaded example. Is it yours? I hope so. That was a good deal. Notice the white letters and numbers on the dial, which is not much contrast in the true blue one, but in the faded one, there's plenty of contrast. Its WE counterparts used black letters and numbers on the same color. And as I said in another post somewhere, it wasn't called Fade-Me-Not. Are you going to try that Oxy-clean process on the faded one?

If I read the numbers off the bottom correctly, it's from 1964. The dial type is similar to the dial on the black AE80 my family had when I was a high school kid. The fingerwheel just rotated off when you turned it sharply counter-clockwise. You can imagine my surprise when my friend's AE 85 phone with the screwed-down fingerwheel with stick-on card didn't do the same and I broke the dial!  :o

One trip (by me) to the phone company later, all was well. That was when phones were still leased and they fixed it free.

Congratulations on getting another nice AE80. You're getting quite a collection of them.
Jonathan

Greg G.

Quote from: jsowers on November 16, 2009, 09:19:00 AM
Briny, that's a nice, unfaded example. Is it yours? ... Are you going to try that Oxy-clean process on the faded one?

Nope, not mine, it's still available on ebay.  Over $17 for shipping, I'll pass.  Mine is the faded one, and that is AFTER I cleaned it with Oxy.  Here's the before pic.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e