News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Correct screws for 56A shrouds

Started by Russ62, October 31, 2015, 02:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ62

Hi,    I wonder if any one can tell me the length of the original screws used to secure the dial and 56A shroud to tops of Gray and early W.E. paystations?  I know they should be 4-36  thread, but how long?     Also although unlikely, a possible commercial source. besides of course, other phone collectors.                                             Russell

Jim Stettler

Russ I don't know the length of the screws. Your best bet to locate the screws is to check with a telephone collecting type business like Phoneco (email attn: Mary) or OPW. I would also check on the TCI listserver.  If they don't have them I would check in person at Fastenal.
Decades ago some Fastenal locations could get the oddball phone screws. You need to talk to hem in person and see what they can find. Back then  they were high $ and typically you had to buy by the carton or case (vs box of 100). If you can locate the screws, you may be able to get OPW to stock them.
I remember buying 2 sets of screws for 211's (I think 3 screws in 2 oddball sizes), and I paid $7.00 a set ($14.00 for 6 screws total). This was from a collector who bought them by the carton.
I did check with a local fastenal dealer 15-20 years ago and he thought he could probably still find them NOS, but I would have to buy them by the carton or case and they would probably run .07+ per screw buying by the carton. At that point I decided it was better to overpay someone who already  bought a  carton.
JMO,
Good-Luck,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.