News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Someone stole this today ..... WE 7-56 Rose Beige for $41

Started by LoveOldPhones, November 19, 2016, 05:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoveOldPhones

I been watching this auction and never expected to see THIS go for so cheap....  yeah.... its a project but.....  its a rose beige !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Rose-Beige-Dark-Beige-500-Western-Electric-Dial-Phone-Working-amp-Original-/252633315402

?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=5xUKoGpmjoAfRthfTydeUOwBRQA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

anyone here get it ?

TelePlay

Wow, that was a deal and with all those photos too . . .

Dial says -55 Beige, Dark Beige, Rose Beige, Rosewood Beige and the handset shows both the fading and the original color. Lot of work to get it back to original but except for the small, front corner crack, it looks great.

Pourme

I was a bidder early on but the code was dark beige not rose beige so I dropped out... Is it rare as well?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

poplar1

Quote from: Pourme on November 19, 2016, 06:18:57 PM
I was a bidder early on but the code was dark beige not rose beige so I dropped out... Is it rare as well?

Those are two ways of describing the same color, color code --55 ("dash 55"). This co!or was made only from 1954-1957. The dates on the parts, the white letters and numbers on the dial number plate, the lack of center holes on the caps, and especially the color code stamped on the dial (7C--55) are all clues.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Pourme

I was excited at first then I saw the code and dropped out of the bidding...lesson learned!
Benny

Kenton K

I'm suprised as well. I will say that I think rose beige doesn't age well. The color turns flesh colored. A pristine rose beige is def a beauty though.

LoveOldPhones

Quote from: Kenton K on November 19, 2016, 08:12:33 PM
I'm suprised as well. I will say that I think rose beige doesn't age well. The color turns flesh colored. A pristine rose beige is def a beauty though.

I agree.... it does not age well but if you have someone that can bring back the color...  its absolutely amazing !
I bought one a long time ago and I had it buffed out and brought back from the dead.... and it wasn't even as nice as this one that got sold.....
and mine came out a STUNNER !   

when you see those white numbers.... thats the REAL deal !  thats the reason I couldn't believe it went for so little. 

someone is smiling tonight... and can't WAIT for the mail !  LOL

Pourme

OK....I'm kicking my own butt tonight.....I bailed out at $25.00
Benny

compubit

Guilty!

I bid early, but got a reminder this afternoon and put in a bid just north of $41 and it stuck...

I know I have some work ahead, but it's one of the "rare 4" colors, but I'm tickled I won.  (Not often I'm on the winning end of a good deal - usually that goes to Christian!)

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

TelePlay

Quote from: compubit on November 19, 2016, 08:56:48 PM
Guilty!

Great! And very nice to see a member steal get the phone. However, your stealing it has a few other members wishing  . . .

Hope the seller packs it well for shipping.

And, don't forget, lots of BEFORE as well as the after photos.

WEBellSystemChristian

Congrats Jim!! That was a complete steal!! I wanted to bid on it, but I arrogantly knew better, because I knew it would go into triple digits. Guess I was wrong...

Besides, I already have one, plus another hidden under Polane paint and missing a dial bezel...

Anyway, I'm glad it went to someone who will appreciate it!

========================

One thing you might want to try to remove the fading is Denatured Alcohol. I use it to polish all Tenite plastics, but it works well for removing oxidation on plastics. I created a topic not long ago for removing gauges in a housing. I outlined how to polish with Denatured Alcohol, you can skip the Acetone part:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16868.0

For repairing that corner crack, just use Acetone. It works far better than glue, and you don't have to use a foreign material to repair it. Polish with Acetone/Novus afterwards.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

compubit

I was extremely shocked it went for so little. 

Thanks for the reminders on the existing threads.  I'm hoping we have a few snow days this year when I can "work on the basement"...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Pourme

Guilty!

I bid early, but got a reminder this afternoon and put in a bid just north of $41 and it stuck...

I know I have some work ahead, but it's one of the "rare 4" colors, but I'm tickled I won.  (Not often I'm on the winning end of a good deal - usually that goes to Christian!)

Jim

Congrats!
I too, am glad one of us got the phone! We need pictures as you proceed!
Benny

LoveOldPhones

Guilty!

Jim

HAHAHAHA !   SO YOU'RE the ONE !
GOOD for YOU ! 
BOY did you get a GREAT DEAL !  ...
I too thought it would easily go into triple digits.... i was shocked when I saw the price and had to post my comments here.

Glad you got it.... do your best to get it back to it's beautiful self !

Congratulations !  we should all be so lucky with good finds like THAT one !
Looking forward to seeing how you do with it !

ENJOY !

oldguy

Gary