News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 354

Started by Sargeguy, December 24, 2010, 01:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

A recent find: a 354 with a hole in the side as if for a cut-off switch, a coiled cloth cord, an alloy switchhook and 172 B backing board.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

What kind of shape is the coild cord in?  Is it brown or black?

-Bill G

Dennis Markham

That switch hook is nice.  I was under the impression that the chrome hooks only came on the Ivory 354's.  But that one isn't even chrome, is it?  It's painted?  Very nice.

Dan

I believe that looks to be a "satin" finish hook. I have two 554's from late 1955 that have the same finish.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Sargeguy

The hook is a "satin finish" type as Dan pointed out.  It looks like plastic but is actually an alloy or nickel plated aluminum or something that you don't see anymore.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dencins

Can you please provide a picture of the side vents on the case?  The picture with the hole in the case looks like the vent is some type of metal insert.  Thanks

Dennis

Sargeguy

Quote from: dencins on December 25, 2010, 12:35:54 PM
Can you please provide a picture of the side vents on the case?  The picture with the hole in the case looks like the vent is some type of metal insert.  Thanks

Dennis

Its just the flash reflecting off some dirt.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dencins