"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC 500 D wiring problems

Started by Drthacher, August 10, 2016, 03:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drthacher

Hi,

Im new this, and Ive looked over wiring diagrams and cant seem to get my sc 500 D to ring.  Before I started fiddling with the wiring I could make and receive calls, just no ringer.  Now, when I try to dial, I get a dial tone, but as I dial a number the dial tone persists and it doesnt place my call.  I'm afraid Ive made things worse !!!  I have attached a photo.  If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Thank you,

Darren

Ktownphoneco

Hi Darren   ....   Welcome to Classic Rotary Phone Forum.     Your "playing" with a telephone, and that's what this forum is really all about.      Attached is a schematic for your telephone set.     Schematics are easy to read.     The individual components are labeled, and the conductors from each one are indicated with the colors that the manufacturer used at the time of production.
Just check each connection from each component in your telephone set using the conductor color, and trace it to where it's suppose to go according to the schematic.
There is a chance your ringer is defective, but I'd be more inclined to suspect that your set was originally wired for "ground ringing".       Check all 4 conductors from the ringer in your telephone, and make sure they connect as per the schematic "EXCEPT" the black colored lead.      If it was located on the "G" terminal of the network, remove it from that terminal, and re-connect it to the terminal labeled "L-1" on the network.    Most, if not all, ringers today, use what's called bridged ringing.     By moving the black lead from "G" to "L-1" your re-configuring your telephone for "bridged ringing".
If after moving the black ringer lead to "L-1", and all of the other 3 ringer wires are connected according to the schematic, the ringer still doesn't ring, then it may be a defective ringer.

The schematic is provided by, and with thanks, by the technical library of Telephone Collectors International.

Jeff Lamb

poplar1

It appears you have the green line cord wire on GN (with another green wire). It should be on L1.
I can't see where the red line wire is, but it should be on L2.
Other two ringer wires should be on A and K.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.