News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Has anyone run across this before?

Started by Jester, October 01, 2009, 12:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester

Take a look at this auction for a WE 500 in Ivory.  The auction page is set up funny, but, if you scroll to the right, notice the pic. of the base showing the model no. & date.  Just to the right of that is a silver "50" stamped there.  I assume this is a reference to the color code, but can't say I've ever seen that before!  Has anyone ever noticed a base stamped this way?
http://tinyurl.com/yaac4fc ( dead link 08-04-21 )
Stephen

Phonesrfun

50 does seem to be the color code for Ivory on the 500's, but I have never seen the color code stamped on the base of the phone.  That does not mean that it was never done.  Usually it is on the back of the dial.   I don't know of any other reason for the "50" to be there, so that must be it.

-Bill
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

I have seen the color code stamped in similar fashion on the bottom of the phone.  Not from personal experience (I've never had one) but I have seen photos of one stamped like that.  I don't remember where, if it was on the net or on a collector's set.  I don't think that was done as a matter of routine and do not know if there is  a BSP for such marking.  I think if I remember correctly it was on a Mahogany set (-54).

jsowers

I've seen one or two of the two-tone sets stamped that way, but not all of them. The stamped code is the color of the housing, with the rest of the components being black. And like Dennis, I've seen a few solid color sets stamped that way too, but very few. Maybe it was something the installer did? It's usually on early color sets and rarely if ever on the 1958 or later ones. It's another indication this phone was "born ivory," I guess.

I've also got to comment on the arrangement of the pictures in this auction. They're great pictures, but they sure go on and on scrolling to the right. It must be something to do with eBay's new "pictures at the top" thing, and the seller trying to post them in the body of the auction.

Too bad about the crack in the housing and the coil cord missing. Otherwise it's a really nice phone. Good luck, Jester, if you're bidding.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

Jonathan, when I view the auction the photos appear vertically, I have to scroll down to view them.  They remain within the confines of the margins here.

jsowers

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 01, 2009, 10:52:10 AM
Jonathan, when I view the auction the photos appear vertically, I have to scroll down to view them.  They remain within the confines of the margins here.

I'm using IE6 and that may explain why it's like that. I noticed Jester also had to scroll to the right to see them. I use many different computers in my job, old and new, and a very old one at home, and you'd be surprised how different eBay looks on all of them nowadays. I'm the world's worst for trying to hang onto a computer as long as I can. Mr. Old Technology, that's me. :)
Jonathan

JorgeAmely

Hi guys:

Here is a -54 stamped on a Mahogany Brown phone.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Jorge, I THOUGHT you had one!  And I remembered correctly, it WAS on a Mahogany phone.  I thought that you would speak up if in fact it was your phone that I had seen.

Jester

I appreciate the input on this, gents.  Since this is something new to me, I'm tempted to make a bid.  I already have a nice Ivory, though, & the missus reminds me of the shrinking footpath around here almost daily now.  As they say down here, "If momma ain't happy..."!   
Stephen

Dennis Markham

Get them all on shelves and there will be plenty of foot room!

bwanna

donna

Jester

Bwanna, she used to collect Madame Alexander dolls, or I should say her grandparents made a tradition of giving her & her sister a new one every year and they hung onto them.  She hasn't pursued getting them on her own, or anything else, for that matter.  I've tried to encourage it, though.  It would be fun to junk hunt together, even if we're looking for different junk.
Stephen

Dan/Panther

I would think they wouldn't mark the base with the color code designation, as that can be changed.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bwanna

Quote from: Jester on October 01, 2009, 11:17:52 PM
Bwanna, she used to collect Madame Alexander dolls, or I should say her grandparents made a tradition of giving her & her sister a new one every year and they hung onto them.  She hasn't pursued getting them on her own, or anything else, for that matter.  I've tried to encourage it, though.  It would be fun to junk hunt together, even if we're looking for different junk.

2 junk hunters = twice the junk.  ;) but it is fun ;D
donna

bwanna

Quote from: Jester on October 01, 2009, 11:17:52 PM

stephen, maybe the missus would like one of these :)
donna