"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pictures of a 49er.

Started by Greg G., May 15, 2010, 07:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Ralph;
I like your positive attitude, especially when it pertains to me...and a 49-500.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

After taking a closer look at the face of the phone, and considering the overall condition of the phone,  then I look at the finger wheel, and it's almost pristine, only three ways that could be, someone changed it, someone painted it, or it's PLASTIC. The scratch near the finger stop is exactly how black plastic would look if it got scratched.
D/P

Dan/Panther

Does the museum have a website, or a name.
D/P

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 16, 2010, 04:47:36 PM
After taking a closer look at the face of the phone, and considering the overall condition of the phone,  then I look at the finger wheel, and it's almost pristine, only three ways that could be, someone changed it, someone painted it, or it's PLASTIC. The scratch near the finger stop is exactly how black plastic would look if it got scratched.
D/P

I can see your point Dan, However they state the finger wheel is metal.
It could of gotten marred by something, and the"scratch" is residue from the itwm.
That "scratch" may just wipe/scrub off.
Just a Thought,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 16, 2010, 04:49:03 PM
Does the museum have a website, or a name.
D/P

They do, but no pictures of the 49'r.  http://www.museumofcommunications.org/
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Frankly I wish they would take the 49er more seriously.
Seems it stuck back ion some corner and gets very little air time.
I bet it would look fabulous next to my 48.
D/P

paul-f

I'm sure they'd look favorably on your donation!  ;) ;);D ;D

Seriously, when are you planning on taking your set on a field trip to Seattle to visit the '49 set and take group photos?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

Quote from: paul-f on May 16, 2010, 06:00:01 PM
I'm sure they'd look favorably on your donation!  ;) ;);D ;D

Seriously, when are you planning on taking your set on a field trip to Seattle to visit the '49 set and take group photos?

I think Dan should wait until he gets a 1950 set so he can do a trio.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 16, 2010, 05:41:54 PM
Frankly I wish they would take the 49er more seriously.
Seems it stuck back ion some corner and gets very little air time.
I bet it would look fabulous next to my 48.
D/P

Space at the museum is at a premium, with a lot of nooks and crannies and bursting at the seams.  They have stuff in storage because they have no room to display it.  However, the 49 was in a lighted display case with some other 500s, like one of those jewelry store display cases.  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dan/Panther

Brinybay;
Can you tell me a little more about the museum, how large a facility, who funds it,
does it get visited alot, who is caretaker, Floor plan, alarm code????

D/P

Phonesrfun

Dan:

I know you were asking Greg, and you had tounge-n-cheek, but here is some info:

http://www.museumofcommunications.org/

-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 16, 2010, 09:17:07 PM
Brinybay;
Can you tell me a little more about the museum, how large a facility, who funds it,
does it get visited alot, who is caretaker, Floor plan, alarm code????

D/P

Most of that is on their website, but I can give you a physical description of the building.  

The museum has two floors.  Third floor is switching equipment, second floor is where the phones are.  First floor is used by Qwest.  There are slobbering, rabid guard dogs everywhere, straining at their chains and just aching to catch you in there after hours.  There is a wide, deep moat surrounding the building, filled with man-eating gators and hungry piranhas.  Four guard towers, one on each corner of the building, occupied by former SWAT team riflemen with itchy trigger fingers and an attitude.  To enter the building, they give you a password to access an online map to navigate through the mine field, and you have to follow it very closely.

Come on up and take a tour.  I'm not into switching equipment, but apparently they have a very rare piece of working switching equipment (or was it a PBX?) from the 1920s.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Greg:

Are you sure you don't write novels during your spare time?  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

Jim Stettler

Isn't the same museum with the AudioChron (sp?)? (talking clock).

Jim
You live, You learn,

Phonesrfun

Yes, they have an Audiochron hooked to their panel office.
-Bill G