News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Am I the only one who does this?

Started by Greg G., June 12, 2012, 02:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

My phone collecting/refurb project pattern has been consistent since I started collecting in 09.  It goes like this:  I get a phone, take it apart, take pictures, post them here, then let it "age" for a week or so with the full intention of getting back to whatever repair or cleaning it needs.

Along comes another phone.  First phone gets pushed aside while I do the same thing with the new phone.  Repeat the process with the next phone, and the next one, and the next one, until you now have a backlog of "OMS" phone projects (Oh Maybe Someday).  "Someday" does come, but not often enough.

Is there a Vintage Phone Projects Anonymous somewhere?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

You are certainly the only one who does that ;D

Owain

I certainly have a waiting list of things to be done.

Getting round to unsoldering batteries before they eat through the Cherished Treasure is one of the more pressing!

gpo706

I have storage crates of half-finished, "shelved" projects, some are mechanically fine and just need cosmetics, some are just bare bases needing a full rewire and rebody, and then there's the boxes of poorly Dictographs... :(
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

HarrySmith

Of course! I have boxes of phones that are on my to do list. Once in a while I pull one out and clean it up  to sell on eBay. Every time I buy a phone my wife screams "Why dont you do something with all those phones sitting in the office!"
The only phone in my collection that has been restored is the very first one. All the others are still "as found"
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Thanks to everyone for letting me know I am not alone in this area.

I was starting to feel bad about my abandoned for something new projects in the basement, the ones I was was working on when something else that needed immediate work came up.

Or, just curiosity of the new phone stops the work on another.

Bill

Sadly, I feel like the poster child for this malady. It is the real reason I am giving up my antique radio hobby. When the list of radios that were "almost done, just needs a bit more" passed 200, and the list of radios that were "finally done" was still in single digits, I knew there was a problem. I'm not a hoarder, and don't want to become one. So they've gotta go.

At this point, I have 3 or 4 completed phones, and 7 or 8 waiting in the wings. And I have a new rule. Don't buy (or start) a new project until one of the old ones is done. Hope I can stick to it.

Bill

twocvbloke

I admit to being a hoarder, so I know I have plenty that I've bought with good intentions of fixing up and finishing off, but most of it, well, it never gets finished, or started... :-[

Most of the stuff either gets left in boxes that end up stacking up, or they get left out and end up being damaged or lost, which is annoying, but, due to being the youngest in the family and not growing up with full control over what was mine, it kind of stuck with me and left me taking in things that I have to have even if I don't need it...  ::)

I have been good of late though, not buying too much, saving more money for beer, cos there's always room for beer... ;D

Phonesrfun

I admit to the same pattern of behavior. 

While there is no known cure, other than the threat of divorce or separation from ones other half, we do have an enabling session that is sure to provide some psychological relief.

Come to the Seattle Northwest phone collectors enabling session on Saturday.

;)

-Bill G

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on June 13, 2012, 10:40:59 AM
I admit to the same pattern of behavior. 

While there is no known cure, other than the threat of divorce or separation from ones other half, we do have an enabling session that is sure to provide some psychological relief.

Come to the Seattle Northwest phone collectors enabling session on Saturday.

;)

I'll be there!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

I don't think I can make that show. Seattle is about as far as you can get from South Florida.
My Lear Jet is in the shop :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan/Panther

I have so many project phones I had to move them out of the house, and have numbered the boxes, and made a matching list.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Russ Kirk

.........and that is how hoarder begin.

No, you're not alone...............
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Phonesrfun

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 13, 2012, 02:13:51 PM
I don't think I can make that show. Seattle is about as far as you can get from South Florida.
My Lear Jet is in the shop :D

Harry:

I'll put you down as a "no"

Maybe next year?  I'm sure the jet will be fixed by then.
-Bill G

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"