News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My new Australian Phone.

Started by canuckphoneguy, May 04, 2012, 07:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canuckphoneguy

I recently purchased this off of Ebay for $9.99. It's from Australia (see dial card) and is in great condition. It doesn't work here in Canada because it has a different plug.

Does anyone know what kind of phone this is? Also, is it possible to add a modular plug to this so it will work here in Canada?

gpo706

Being ex-colony UK affairs, its probably based on GPO products/circuits and quite easy to convert, certainly not inoperable.

What's that black flipper on the left of the case?

PS -

http://www.britishtelephones.com/aus/802.htm

http://www.britishtelephones.com/aus/801.htm
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

canuckphoneguy

I'm not sure what that thing is. It's a key - it can turn and I can even remove the key. Possibly to lock the phone so Australian kids  can't use it when mom and dad are away?

LM Ericsson

That is a PMG 802 with a key, but not sure what it does. I have one of those in the green color.
Regards,
-Grayson

canuckphoneguy

Quote from: LM Ericsson on May 05, 2012, 08:05:38 AM
That is a PMG 802 with a key, but not sure what it does. I have one of those in the green color.

Have you been able to get yours to work with a modular plug?

LM Ericsson

Yeah I have and also with a four prong plug as well with the converter.
Regards,
-Grayson

Adam

Shouldn't an aussie phone be pictured like this?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

LM Ericsson

Hahaha, or a upright picture of an Australian phone actually upside down!!!
Regards,
-Grayson

canuckphoneguy

Quote from: LM Ericsson on May 05, 2012, 11:31:16 AM
Yeah I have and also with a four prong plug as well with the converter.

That's great! Can you point me in any direction where there's instructions or diagrams? I'd love to get this working and try out my Australian accent. ;D

LM Ericsson

You can always buy and Australian to American adapter from various websites. There are ones out there.
Regards,
-Grayson

dsk

canuckphoneguy

OldAussieGuy

Hi
New to this forum. The 800 series phone was introduced in Aus early 1960s. Although styled on various European phones it is uniquely Australian design and manufacture. Started to be replaced in about 1990 but some still in service. Not bad for nearly 50 years! There were several dial variants and later followed by decadic and then tone dial pushbutton versions. Also issued in a wall version again with dial and PB versions. Yours is an 802 variant (yes the key is a security feature when phone calls were expensive) from 1970s. If you take the cover off there should be a circuit glued inside.
Regards

canuckphoneguy

Quote from: OldAussieGuy on June 09, 2012, 12:18:49 AM
Hi
New to this forum. The 800 series phone was introduced in Aus early 1960s. Although styled on various European phones it is uniquely Australian design and manufacture. Started to be replaced in about 1990 but some still in service. Not bad for nearly 50 years! There were several dial variants and later followed by decadic and then tone dial pushbutton versions. Also issued in a wall version again with dial and PB versions. Yours is an 802 variant (yes the key is a security feature when phone calls were expensive) from 1970s. If you take the cover off there should be a circuit glued inside.
Regards

Thanks for the info - I wondered what that key was for!