News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lantern Converted to Electric

Started by HarrySmith, November 29, 2017, 05:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

In reading the newest topic where it was mentioned about a lantern that was converted stirred something in my gray cells. I remember picking up a lantern at an auction years ago. It had no bids so I picked it up for $5.00. IIRC it was converted and it was filthy. I cleaned it up with the intentions of selling it but it looked so nice after cleaning my wife decided to keep it. It is in the house somehere, I will try to get some pictures this weekend.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AL_as_needed

Apparently conversion to electric is but one option for the modern lantern enthusiast. Here is an interesting take; All the fun of a real flame with out the hassle of kerosene and adjusting those pesky wicks!

I for one am left with many many questions.
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Makes me wonder whether the lanterns get hot enough to melt the entire candle, resulting in a lovely waxy mess to clean up... ;D

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 15, 2018, 04:46:57 AM
Makes me wonder whether the lanterns get hot enough to melt the entire candle, resulting in a lovely waxy mess to clean up... ;D

Can't tell from the photo but those might be plastic LED candles.

If not, if it's a variation on kerosene/paraffin, but paraffin wax that is, which when melted onto something, it would indeed be a mess to clean up.

AL_as_needed

I cant really tell, but are two of those the korean 500 type lanterns? Doesnt look like any are dietz at least.
TWinbrook7

TelePlay

Found them.

The description says" "Wedding Lantern w/LED Tealight- Medium Size Lantern, Rustic Metal Railroad Lantern, Candle Lantern Centerpiece, Reception Party Tea Light" but no price since the listing I found is a dead link. These are not Dietz lanterns. Can't read the fuel cap or fuel font but the way they are marked remind me of the Korean/Japan/China lanterns I've seen, all made by the same stamping molds but with different characters, and Dietz never bent their globe cages as seen on these.

Now, If I were going to buy LED lanterns for an event, I'd go with the second, more modern and much more decorative lanterns.

twocvbloke

The latter one you can easily make at home using LED strings, some LED candles and cheap lanterns from a poundshop/dollar store... ;D

19and41

I never knew there was a need for wedding lanterns.  The second ones do look nice, though.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on January 16, 2018, 02:54:31 PM
I never knew there was a need for wedding lanterns.  The second ones do look nice, though.

Oh, yeah, I've seen them (not this type which would have been an improvement) and they make a very nice setting having one in the center of every table in the dining area. Low level ceiling lights, white Christmas lights around the outside windows and a candle on every table on white linen. Costly but very nice.

19and41

Only the Department Of Defense gets more costly than a good wedding.   ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

On the note of the LED candles, we have several in our house, although they aren't the same brand.

They are made of candle wax, it appears, and they look very realistic, until you reach out and touch the plastic flame bouncing back and forth!

The one strange thing about the wax is that it actually fades slightly in sunlight!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

twocvbloke

Bigclivedotcom on Youtube has done several videos on "flicker flame" LED candles with the wiggling plastic "flame", it's interesting how simple they are (magnets and pulsed coils to make the flame twitch), aswell as how easy it is to modify them so they can be different colours...  ;D

AL_as_needed

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 16, 2018, 04:53:41 PM
Bigclivedotcom on Youtube has done several videos on "flicker flame" LED candles with the wiggling plastic "flame", it's interesting how simple they are (magnets and pulsed coils to make the flame twitch), aswell as how easy it is to modify them so they can be different colours...  ;D

Looks like im tossing the burner and making my vesta into wed'in lantern. No better way to enjoy a collectible lantern for oneevening  ::)
TWinbrook7