News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hidden number cards

Started by poplar1, May 24, 2013, 02:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

If you see a phone with an area code + all numbers sticker on top of the original plastic covering the number card, there is probably an old card underneath.

Apparently, these stickers were mailed out to subscribers who were instructed to place them on their phones. Sometimes the old cards have just a 4-digit phone number, or a central office name with 2 letters in larger font and 4 digits.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dan/Panther

You can find some real gems under there.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

poplar1

Here is what the stick-on number card looks like:

poplar1

This is a different version that has only the area code. I have seen these from Michigan (313) and New York (212).

jsowers

If you're lucky, the stick-on card will be stuck to the acetate disk. But sometimes it's stuck to the actual card. The adhesive turns dark over the years and is often dried out. It stains the number cards when it's stuck to the paper.

Below is a stick-on card that was stuck to the original paper card on a 1955 yellow 500 I got recently. Oftentimes the phone number will be the same and the numbers just replace the letters.
Jonathan

cchaven

Quote from: poplar1 on May 25, 2013, 02:56:50 PM
This is a different version that has only the area code. I have seen these from Michigan (313) and New York (212).

I have a 302 that has the half-moon area code sticker on the plastic cover for a dial advertisement.  It to is from the 212 area code, and th dial advertisement is for a liquor store in New York.  The ad itself still shows the old telephone number format.

Jeff

TelePlay

This number card assembly has the tape right on the paper number card, not on the plastic. There is a number underneath the tape. Should I try to remove the tape and if so, any ideas on how to do it?

Doug Rose

John....either is comes right off or it destroys the card. If it comes off there will most likely be a residue or the card will be a different color underneath. Its as found, I'd be happy with it.....good luck...Doug
Kidphone