"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bought this week / wtb

Started by Mr. Bones, November 25, 2012, 07:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Since it is Sunday night, have to tally the phones bought for the week:

WE-500 C/D Beige, dates match (2/69) - works peachy keen, rings after swapping one wire - $9.99 Craigslist
Design Line Mediterranean Cradlephone - Calls in and out, no ringer so far - $20.00 Craigslist
WE-554     Black - '50's waiting upon arrival. - $24.99 ePay
WE-500 C/D Black - (1)8/53 - waiting upon arrival. - $16.04 ePay

I fully realize that all of these are ho-hum, dime-a-dozen phones for many of you, but I am excited to be expanding my collection, so please bear with me...

Speaking of ho-hum phones:

Looking for: Good, functional phones of the following type(s): need not be polished, restored, dates match, rare, etc. Just a good, working telephone...

(1) WE-500 rotary of color (not black) for my home office, prefer pre-modular handset, but willing to consider others.
(1) WE-554 rotary of color (not black) for my kitchen, prefer blue, pre-modular handset, but willing to consider other colors.
AE / NE / SC, etc. all good also...

Couple of Princess or Trimline phones for those tight spots, i.e.: roll-top desk ,headboard, etc. Rotary preferred, touchtone considered if cheap enough.

Also, always looking for a 'birthday phone'. 02/xx/1962. (PM if interested.) 02/62 be close enough for a po' boy. '62 if the price was cheap enough ;-).

Thanks, and best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Mr. Bones

Ran across this just now on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/early-1900s-antique-vintage-dial-phone-/321030306727?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abee5bba7

Apparently, I got quite the bargain ($20) on what I believed to be a Design Line Mediterranean Cradlephone!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

AE_Collector

Yes I would say so! $99 opening bid or get it before it is gone for Only $1200 BIN!

Terry

<edit> I just noticed that per the ebaY listing this one is a:

EARLY 1900'S VINTAGE DIAL PHONE

I hadn't realized that this one was quite that old! No wonder people that were still stuck with Magneto phones were so upset by the relatively modern looking phones that other subscribers got when they were lucky enough to be converted to dial!

Just4Phones

I usually don't bother but I had to respond to this guys listing:

Dear ckdiamondshine,
Hi there.  You don't really think this phone is from the early 1900's do you?  This is a "designer" phone and sold in stores in the late 1970's-1980's.  It is worth at best about $20.00.  Hope this helps. 

This is his response:

thx for the advise but if u want this phone its 99 to start not 20 have a great one good bye

AE_Collector

He has a way with words too!

Terry

George Knighton

Somebody ended the auction for the "1900" device.

Can't tell if it was eBay or the owner, but somebody obviously came to some kind of sense.

:-)

EDIT:  He might've made it worse.  He re-listed it but kept the starting bid at 99.00.

QuoteATTENTION PLEASE READ BEFORE BIDDING: Please be advised that the word early shouldn't be there. AND I CAN NOT REVISE THE LISTING, because it took too long to see the mistake. it should just say 1900's. this was a mistake and im sorry for any bad, this may have caused anyone. never anyones intention. thank you again NOT EARLY BUT ITS 1900'S. THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR UNDERSTANDING THIS MISTAKE
Annoying new poster.

Just4Phones

Well he certainly made a liar out of me  >:(  Someone met his $99 opening bid

AE_Collector

Quote NOT EARLY BUT ITS 1900'S.

No longer "Early" but still from the 1900's! He must have got legal advise!

I thought they quit making phones in North America in the 1900's....1990 or so to be exact.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

That phone probably belongs in the "hideous phones" thread.  It just screams mid 70s tacky with the fake wood texture and the silly design below the cradle.  It sure brings back bad memories.

Larry

twocvbloke

Last time I saw one of those phones was in Airplane!... :D

Dave F

Quote from: Just4Phones on November 28, 2012, 11:09:45 AM
Well he certainly made a liar out of me  >:(  Someone met his $99 opening bid
Just a reminder to you that "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished".  The arrogant seller wins, and the poor (uneducated) buyer gets what he (unfortunately) deserves.

Message to all who are attracted to phones:  DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE JUMPING IN!!

Tom B

Tom