"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Manhole cover

Started by McHeath, April 11, 2009, 03:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Matt;
Don't think for one minute you are stepping on any toes here.
I did not think about your ideas, they may be easier to work with. The only problem is that the molding would have to be done by Donna, and the shipping would then become a factor. The rubber based mold could be shipped cheaply, and I could resin cast the cover here.
D/P

Now would you kindly get off my back.... ;D

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

Thank you Dan/Panther;

It's just an idea that makes some sense to me from my own meager experience.

I have nothing against a floppy rubber accurate mold of the manhole cover at all.

By the way you never met me in Sicily. Hee hee. I am kidding!

My interest is only in actual hardware store available materials or to give you an accurate mold of the manhole cover that is most shippable and ready to use.

We want a good mold at the the most accurate and least shippable expense; correct?

-Matt

Dan/Panther

Yes, with as little burden to Donna as is possible.
D/P

HobieSport

Hey; If I am ever a "burden on Bwanna" or if I am ever "on the back of D/P" or if I ever "slather Granny with Pennsylvania crude" may I be hereby by be kicked off the board. Go ahead and make fun. ;D However; none of that was ever my evil initial intention.  ;)

I still think that my idea of a shippable manhole cover mold made of expandable polyurethane foam from a can MAY not be entirely without merit or at least worth a try.

I suppose that I may now have to test it. Please at least give me some credit for trying at some personal risk. If I end up in jail I won't beg for forgiveness.

-Matt

bwanna

hobie, all suggestions welcome. i am a total novice in mold making. you mentioned the great stuff product earlier in this thread. that cover is apprx. 3' in diameter. i'm thinking it would take more than a couple of cans. this stuff would not be brittle & breakable when dry?

d/p, do you still have the link to that molding product that i sent you? i had it book marked on my PC, which crashed recently, so i lost it. if you do, post it here.

bingster, don't you like hobie's granny? or were you referring to your own granny? :o :o
donna

HobieSport

Bwanna; I'll do a test. I had some really amazing grandmothers, no-matter what they say. It's an incredibly strong and light product, but now I feel rather stupid if it doesn't work. I do think that one seven dollar can might do a whole three foot diameter manhole cover, because it expands. I could be wrong but it is amazing stuff.

Please keep in mind that this is only an educated guess.
-Matt

bwanna

hobie

all theories are just educated guesses, until proven. the way that "stuff" expands, i'm thinking the cover would have to be enclosed on all sides in the form in order to control the expansion.

maybe d/p post the link to the product i wanted to use. or i will look it up again. i wish i could remember the name of it.

QUIT FEELING STUPID! >:(  nothing ventured, nothing gained.

i had good grandmas, also. i think bingster has some issues, tho :o
donna

HobieSport

Bwanna;

There are no problems with the expandable foam called "Great Stuff" about having to build a mold or anything to contain it. Just start in the middle of the manhole cover (be sure to do a small test first with an oily release; All jokes aside.) and if any of it ends up over the edge, just trim it off after it dries, with a bread knife or other sharp knife implement or even a Swiss Army knife saw. First make sure that it is all dry inside is all. But do a small test first.

-Hobie

-Matt

bingster

Quote from: bwanna on September 20, 2009, 09:46:11 AMbingster, don't you like hobie's granny? or were you referring to your own granny? :o :o
Grannies in general.  They're so sweet and cuddly, that they need to be taken to the dunking booth once in a while to bring them back down to earth.
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Bwanna;
Here is the link you gave me.

http://www.smooth-on.com/Sculpture-and-Art-/c1239/index.html

D/P

Matt;
I haven't offended you have I. I put a smiley after my remark, strictly a joke on my part, I hope not a bad one.
D/P

HobieSport

Dan/Panther

No you haven't offended me. You may scare scare me sometimes; but generally you are sort of a hero to me actually. But only in the the "Panther" part of Dan/Panther.  ;)

I like the discussion of the manhole cover casting (all humor aside) and I just want to contribute what little I might know.

Grannies are fine.

Bingster really scares me sometimes however, being only 42 or so and so knowledgeable. That somehow seems so wrong.  ;D

-Matt

Dan/Panther

Matt;
Thank you, that is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me.
All I really want to do is help, by sharing some of what I've learned over the past 100 years.
D/P

HobieSport

Thank You D/P,

Actually I was a little worried if I had offended you in any way, but I'll stop worrying and start enjoying. Frankly I have tons of respect for your experience and abilities, and it's fun to bounce ideas.

Sometimes I can be sort of an idiot, and humor on the internet is so easy to misinterpret. For example, I didn't know that you were 100 years old. ;) ;D ;D ;D

This whole manhole casting idea just awakens some of my inner innovating thoughts and inventiveness, including some of my silly ideas that may not always prove to be the best.  Whatever ideas we may bounce about I certainly enjoy the discussion.

-Matt

bingster

Quote from: bwanna on September 18, 2009, 09:31:39 PM
thought i'd show a progress pic of the manhole cover clean up. in my spare time i have been using a torch to heat the ashphalt that is caked into the crevices. when i get done with that i will sandblast to remove the black from the heat & also rust.

Donna, did you do anything further with your cover?

(Can you tell I'm looking through old posts? lol)
= DARRIN =

Adam

My neighborhood, Canoga Park, CA., is full of these things in every sidewalk.

Last year, I took a picture of one, it was my cellphone's wallpaper for a time.

Even though the Bell System no longer exists, I think these things will out live all of us and even out live our kids.

-Dave Haber
Massapequa Telephone
C*NET 1-798-7619
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820