News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Candlestick Frankenphone?

Started by wds, August 25, 2014, 02:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Interesting candlestick on Ebay, expiring in a couple hours.  Advertised as a Monarch, and even includes a picture of a Monarch Newspaper Ad.  Unfortunately the picture in the ad doesn't match the phone that's for sale.  Obviously a Monarch Transmitter.  The shaft and upper parts are Federal.  The base appears to be an American Electric.  Don't recognize the receiver parts - cap is a WE?  Shell looks like a generic off brand.  The diaphram is a GPO, and as the GPO diaphrams are smaller than the US versionis, I'm sure it doesn't fit the magnet.  Assembled incorrectly leaves the receiver arm on the wrong side.  Interesting use of parts. 

http://tinyurl.com/mxzua6k

Dave

Russ Kirk

The wealth of knowledge here is always amazing.  I would not be able to pick out those nuances. Kudos to you for pointing them out. I learn something everyday!

I looked at the sellers auction listing and see he is a lot of other hard to find parts.

Here is the link to his amazing and huge collection (if I have the right collector):
http://www.tomsantiquetelephones.com/home.html

I don't know if he is a member here but if someone knows him personally maybe the can contact him to get more information on this candlestick phone.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

HarrySmith

Yes. Tom Adams is a well known collector in both ATCA & TCI. He has an amazing collection. The first picture on his page is evidence of that, a rare ( read expensive) Gray coin collector. I am sure he would be happy to answer any questions about his auctions.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

I sent him a question about the parts during the auction, but haven't heard back from him   I have a couple of these phones - if the price wasn't so high I could interested in buying it just to see how he got the stem to bolt to the base.  Mine is dated 1924.   And yes, he does have an amazing collection. 
Dave

HarrySmith

I am surprised you did not get a reply. Try his regular email, tom.adams1@nc.rr.com
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

I spoke to Tom and he sent me lots of pictures of the phone and it doesn't appear to be a frankenphone after all.  Or else someone did a really good job assembling the phone out of spare parts.  Shaft is pressed into the base - not screwed to the base.  I sure would like to get my hands on it and take it completely apart.  The odd part is the base.  I've seen that base many times, but I haven't been able to find any pictures.  I'll keep looking.
Dave

wds

This candlestick just passed through Ebay, which turns out is identical to the candlestick here in question.  This one has the receiver arm on the correct side, and has a SC transmitter cup but otherwise is the same.  Two of a kind pretty much means it's not a frankenphone.  I now have a section in my candlesticks devoted to unknown manufacturers. 
Dave