News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need help identifying a Candlestick Phone - Dean Electric

Started by wds, September 03, 2014, 06:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Picked this up from Ebay, couldn't tell if it was legit, or a collection of parts.  And apparently neither could anyone else, as it sold for pretty cheap.  It arrived today, and it seems quite original.  The base looks like a Dean, the receiver arm and top looks like a Stromberg.  But the similarities end there.    Is this a limited production Stromberg, like the Kansas City model?  The receiver is SC, but the shell is different than any of my other SC shells.  The inside of the shell has the metal threads, like a stromberg.  The transmitter is a very early SC - I found the same one on my SC Oil Can.  Can anyone ID this candlestick?  I will post more pictures as I dissemble the phone.
Dave

wds

More pictures.  The picture of the top has a regular SC ball to the right for comparison. 
Dave

wds

I have a match to the receiver.  This article is out of the 1905 SC bulletin.  I'm beginning to think this is a very early Stromberg.
Dave

wds

I'm told this is an early Dean Electric candlestick.  Parts are out getting plated, should have pictures soon.

Dave

Stubbypylon

Dean became Garford Mfg Co. which was then acquired by Stromberg
Craig Stanowski

wds

Once Dean sold off, I'm not aware of any new models of phones being introduced.  Garford and SC just rubber stamped the same phones they had been previously making.  And I'm familiar and have most of the Dean candlesticks - this one must be a very early stick - I'm still trying to find what year is was manufactured.
Dave

wds

Candlestick is back together.  I sent the parts to Dennis to be plated, and they came back looking like new.  They were steel, rusted, corroded, and pitted, and they came back looking like new, and every pit is gone.  I don't know how he does it - aside from a lot of elbow grease.  Still need to make a new leather ring to go into the base, then I'm done.

I'm convinced that this is a Dean - the SC candlesticks are well documented and this doesn't show up in any of their catalogues.  If this is a Dean, then who copied who on the design - Dean or SC.

Dave

wds

I picked up another candlestick that I believe to be a Dean.  The mechanicals are identical to this other one, the only difference is the perch.  Would be nice if Dean was better documented - would like to find these candlesticks in a catalog.Does anyone else have one like this?  I suppose this could be a Garford also.
Dave