News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lifestyle of the Retro and Vintage

Started by AET, February 17, 2009, 10:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

Here's just some pics of my bedroom in all its vintage glory.  I'll send more pics of my collectables and antiques as I get them.

Thanks
-Tom

- Tom

McHeath

Gee a nice collection you've got started there.  Now here's a scary moment, I think I had that headboard back in the 60s and early 70s!

Small world indeed.

Dennis Markham

Very nice Tom.  Just think how much stuff you'll have when you're old---like in your 40's.  What kind of radio/record player console is that?  I have an old Sparton that looks similar to that but not nearly as nice.  And mine doesn't work.  Wish I knew a radio guy.

AET

Mine doesn't work either, I bought it at a garage sale for $5 and figured the asthetics were worth that.  I have a radio and TV guy here too.  I want to have him look at it, I plug it in and it just produces a terrible hum.  I think it's the capacitors and I see at least 3 blown tubes. 

It's a Silvertone, which I beleive is from 1951. 
- Tom

BDM

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 17, 2009, 11:18:48 PM
  Wish I knew a radio guy.

Uhm.....................hmmm....funny.........wish I knew one also 8)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on February 17, 2009, 11:21:31 PM
Mine doesn't work either, I bought it at a garage sale for $5 and figured the asthetics were worth that.  I have a radio and TV guy here too.  I want to have him look at it, I plug it in and it just produces a terrible hum.  I think it's the capacitors and I see at least 3 blown tubes. 

You better believe it's worth five bucks.  You got a great deal.  They're usually relegated to basements  and garages when they get old, and they suffer a lot of damage that way.  Yours is in really nice condition. 

You're right on the money about the capacitors.  That's exactly what the hum is.  They've all got to be replaced, but for somebody who repairs radios, that's not that big a problem.  Keep in mind when looking at tubes that not all of them are supposed to visibly light up, so that can't be used as an indication of their working state.  Most people think tubes are the first things to go wrong--they're actually among the last things to suspect of a problem.
= DARRIN =

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Steve K

Hi Tom:

Here is a scan of a 1953 Fall and Winter Sears catalog that has a radio like yours.  Who knows, I might have bought that catalog at Columbus mall or maybe Haags!

Steve

Bill Cahill

You do know someone who can repair your sets.
If interested, pm, or, e mail me. I proffessionally restore these things. No business talk here.  PM me.
Thanks.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

AET

Well, I wasn't looking for lighting up of the tubes, since the radio was off, horrid loud hum that just vibrates my head when it's on.  But the tubes are black and burned looking, next time I have it apart, I'll take pics (once I find where I put my camera!) 

Thanks for posting that Ad!  Funny you mention Roger Haag, he hired me to work at his antique store!  I was supposed to haul boxes for him, but moved to Portage right after he hired me.  I have a lot of things I've bought there and at the Columbus mall, which has two great rotary phones identical to mine, I beleive model 500s for 25 bucks.  They're in great shape, brown and black.  We owned a gun store just a few buildings down from where Haags used to be downtown.  We were right on the corner in the big red brick 3-story building at 16 and 73.  In case you didn't know, Haags moved to where Napa used to be on Hwy 16 across from the liquor store.
- Tom

Steve K

Hey Tom:

The first time I went to Haag's new place I bought a GE "locomotive" TV for a good price.  I was there this past December.  I rarely go home empty handed when I leave the Columbus stores!

Steve

AET

Have you ever been to Charisma Antiques?  There's a lot of items there that we sold them, including a lot of their apothecary bottles, a nut roaster, stamp machine, soda fountain stools, etc.  That building we had downtown had been a pharmacy since 1865 and most of the goods were still scattered in the 2nd, 3rd floors, and basement!
- Tom

Steve K

I was probably there, I don't know all the names of the places.  I used to go to the ona across from Vinies I believe.  I will keep a look out for the '51 Admiral you mentioned in your other post.  I see those fairly often back there but usually don't get to serious about them as it cost too much to ship them to California and I don't want to put too much in my parent's house!