News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Strange Icon on posts

Started by Russ Kirk, October 08, 2014, 06:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Kirk

I have noticed something strange with the icons.  See the two screen shots below from Paul's post, I used Paul's post but it shows up on several people's posts. 

See the switchboard photo below the avatar? 
Why is this only showing up in my iPad and not the PC?

Russ

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12790.msg134431#msg134431
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

TelePlay

Interesting, I don't see that icon on my Kindle Fire. I also you see you have set your profile to newest posts first. Mine is set to newest posts last. Don't know if that has anything to do with the icon issue.

Wonder what others are seeing?

Dennis Markham

Things look normal on my end (Firefox).  I have my settings to newest post first.

~Dennis

AE_Collector

I am on my iPad and all looks normal but that said, I think that I have seen this somewhere on the forum previously. It has to be related to one of the two icons that are missing in the screenshot from the iPad, the email icon or the ...what do they call that, a quote bubble. Is it the ICQ icon? Look at the membership list to see these various icons by some members names.

You are also getting an extra little square white check box like the one just to the left of each members screen name but it is showing after the icons.

Terry

Here's a screenshot on my iPad. (Still on OS6!)

WesternElectricBen

I don't mean to be the smart-alack, but did you try turning your iPad off and on again?

Ben

Russ Kirk

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on October 08, 2014, 11:02:22 PM
I don't mean to be the smart-alack, but did you try turning your iPad off and on again?

Ben

I do not take it that way at all. It was doing it before OS8 was installed and after.  i Just powered down and up and it is still there.  Wherever the  envelope icon should be I get the switchboard photo.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

AE_Collector

Ben

It's an Apple product thus it should never need to be rebooted from factory to electronic recycling depot...cough cough hack $&@€%

Terry

baldopeacock

QuoteIt's an Apple product thus it should never need to be rebooted from factory to electronic recycling depot...cough cough hack $&@€%

Sometimes I wish this forum had a Facebook-style "vote up".   

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 09, 2014, 12:07:50 AM

Ben

It's an Apple product thus it should never need to be rebooted from factory to electronic recycling depot...cough cough hack $&@€%

Terry
Doesn't this flow along the same lines as your avatar, Terry?

The icon issue could have something to do with OS8. As much as I hate Apple products, I was issued an iPad for school, and I sometimes check the forum on it (like I am now). We haven't been allowed to update OS8, because a lot of the programs that are school-issued won't work yet, and the district is working the bugs out on those programs. There aren't any icon issues on this end.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Russ Kirk on October 08, 2014, 06:06:54 PMWhy is this only showing up in my iPad and not the PC?

It's probably in your browser cache on the ipad and Safari believes it belongs to the email icon.
Cliff

Phonesrfun

All I know is that the switchboard icon is mine.
-Bill G

andre_janew

I didn't see any strange icons.  I don't even know how to get an icon.  Yes, I notice that some have them.  I think your ipad may need a break if you have been using it a lot.  See if that helps.

Fabius

No extra icon with Paul using a desktop with Microsoft system 7 and internet explorer.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 08, 2014, 10:59:05 PM
Here's a screenshot on my iPad. (Still on OS6!)

As an FYI, I went into this post to see what the "blue square question mark" icon was at the end of the sentence. This is what Terry wrote:

The photos could then be referenced in the discussion topic using the [i mg]http://function, as you described.  Then the discussion could be in the form tallguy58 wants and the photos would stay on the forum.[/i mg]

I put a space between the "i" and "m" to deactivate the "img" code Terry put into the message. Apparently, the software could not find or understand the code and text between the first "[i . . .] and last [/i . . . ] code delimiters. As such, his code without the spaces in the img code to deactivate it looks like this (my laptop does not show that icon; it doesn't show anything):

The photos could then be referenced in the discussion topic using the