News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Odd Ringer found in a Kellogg Redbar

Started by Doug Rose, January 10, 2015, 12:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I was parting out a damaged Red Bar and came across this ringer. Marked 4A on the bottom. Fit like it belonged there. Any ideas?....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Phonesrfun

With the contacts it looks like a DC ringer, although the connections of the wires both seem to be connected to the coil.
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

I recall awhile back, I obtained a Red Bar with a very similar ringer, but older appearing with mostly black metal. If I can find it I'll post a photo. I also felt the ringer did not belong with the set.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

Have you tested it? Does it work? Maybe some sort of party line ringer?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 10, 2015, 01:10:45 PM
Have you tested it? Does it work? Maybe some sort of party line ringer?

My guess is an intercom ringer.
-Bill G

unbeldi

I would think it's a low voltage ringer, 24-30V DC probably for the Select-O-Phone system.

Does the housing have a red or white button also (in the north east corner) ?

unbeldi

Here is the inside view of my D1002 SOP.

It should also have a different induction coil: 36A (mine is broken) and a Kellogg No 11 dial (with NO pulse contacts, rather than NC).

Doug Rose

Karl....my coil is EXACTLY the same. I thought the top had popped off. Must have been a reason for it....strange....Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: Doug Rose on January 10, 2015, 02:37:43 PM
Karl....my coil is EXACTLY the same. I thought the top had popped off. Must have been a reason for it....strange....Doug

Yes, for some reason the top is popped off, I have my top.  There doesn't seem to be any damage inside.
I believe the coil is a single retardation coil with a resistance of 80 ohms, not a hybrid.

I have seen capacitor blocks split open too. I think it is a design fault. When the sets are in environments too warm, the tar inside melts and the tops come off, perhaps by the expansion of the tar.  Just a theory, but I think the Redbars were over-engineered in general.  I don't see why the coils in a desktop telephone need to be embedded in tar.

Re 4A ringer:
I believe the 4(A)792 ringer/buzzer is spec'd for 25-35 V D.C. with a resistance of 250 ohms.

LarryInMichigan

That is a DC Select-O-Phone ringer.

Larry

Doug Rose

thanks Larry....makes sense....I could get it to ring hooking it up directly to my 616. Now I know why. I have never seen one....Doug
Kidphone