"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AECo 80E & Phones built on the 80E Platform

Started by AE_Collector, July 13, 2010, 12:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: JorgeAmely on July 13, 2010, 12:54:11 AM
AE was truly slightly ahead of its time. ;)

Do you have this one in your collection?

The only "odd" one I have is the Access-1. I wouldn't mind picking up a Freedom Phone and Royce Freedom Dialer one day. Will have to keep watching ebaY.

By the way, most of these pictures are harvested off of ebaY which is why they aren't very high resolution AND the "Staging" is generally rather poor.

Terry

AE_Collector

There were other variations as well Just like the AE 80 and the two line version called an 85, they also made a two line 80E called the 85E.

I don't have a picture of an 85E. Here is a Jade Green 85.

Second picture I believe is an 81E with the optional buttons on top for several different features. Some were for exclusion, others for buzzer circuits or even for use as power fail phones with a ground start button.

That's about it for the 80E lesson folks!

Terry

baldopeacock

My college years in southern Illinois, mid '70s were my first time to live outside the Bell System, so I'd never much been around anything other than WE phones.   Living off campus, we were issued an 80E when we got phone service and it had the decorator faceplates.   IIRC we could choose a couple of faceplates, but didn't get the whole set with the rented phone.    I swapped out the plates a time or two for the fun of it.   Those were pretty cool.

LarryInMichigan

Does anyone know where to obtain replacement faceplates?  I have two AE80Es whose faceplates have been 'decorated' with ugly stains, and I would like to replace them if the cost is reasonable.  The phones cost me about $1 each, so I am not looking to spend much on them.

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 13, 2010, 11:54:28 AM
Does anyone know where to obtain replacement faceplates?  I have two AE80Es whose faceplates have been 'decorated' with ugly stains, and I would like to replace them if the cost is reasonable.  The phones cost me about $1 each, so I am not looking to spend much on them.

Larry

I've got a pile of them. Rotary or Touch Call? WHat colors are the phones?

Phoneguy06 is waiting for me to send him some too.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Both phones are dial.  One is dark brown and the other is (or at least used to be) white. 

Thank You

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 13, 2010, 01:17:22 PM
Both phones are dial.  One is dark brown and the other is (or at least used to be) white. 

Thank You

Larry

I'll check what I have and get back to you. I'll get your address from you and mail them next time I am in the USA....probably a week or two from now.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Terry,

Thank you very much :)  There is no hurry.

Larry

stub

Terry,
        Those are some nice  80 E's!!!!!!!!!  Looks like I'll have a few more to add to my collection.
          I have  a 85 two-line ,in black .
         While your looking for 80 E faceplates don't forget the dial version of  vinyl inserts for AE 95 panel phone , just in case you run across them .  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dennis Markham

There are some face plates listed on eBay.  Only a couple days left........

http://tinyurl.com/29gsb79

Image is from the listing.  This is not my listing.  A member of the ATCA (obviously when you see the seller's eBay handle) mentioned it on the list serve.

mienaichizu

does anybody of you guys did make a reproduction of AE80E faceplates?

AE_Collector

Quote from: mienaichizu on August 01, 2010, 11:07:20 AM
does anybody of you guys did make a reproduction of AE80E faceplates?

I have seen lots of "custom" facemats for 80E's. Besides the ones with dialing instructions for Hotel PABX's I have seen people make their own paper mats from pictures, telephone book cover pictures etc. Later kits of facemats included thin clear plastic rotary dial mats with just the numbers and letters on them making it even easier to make your own custom mat including numbers.

Do you need a facemat for an 80E or is it the hard plastic faceplate that you need?

Terry

paul-f

Please let us know what you need.  Several of us may have originals to offer.

Quote from: ae_collector on July 13, 2010, 01:03:21 AM
There were other variations as well Just like the AE 80 and the two line version called an 85, they also made a two line 80E called the 85E.

I don't have a picture of an 85E. Here is a Jade Green 85. <snip>

Terry:  Is this the 85E?  (The label on the bottom has been ripped and is missing the model number.)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Greg G.

Quote from: ae_collector on July 13, 2010, 12:33:52 AM
Since for the life of me I can't figure out how you guys put text between each picture when you post a bunch at once,

The trick to that is don't use the forum's picture posting method if you want to put text between the pictures, use the "img" command and link to each picture that is hosted someplace on the internet, such as Photobucket.  That way you can post text after each image command. If you have a Photobucket or some other similar photo hosting account (most are free), the command for each picture is usually posted below it in a way for you to just copy/paste.

On these pictures, I have my Photobucket account on another tab and copy/pasted the "img" command to link to the picture on my Photobucket account.  Now I can put text between the pictures.  I even went in and modified the size by changing the img width and height (by half).

Or you can even do thumbnails like I did here:  

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3144.msg42013#msg42013
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: ae_collector on July 13, 2010, 01:03:21 AM

Terry

What dial or finger wheel is that on the jade 80?  I ask because at least one of my regular ol' AE 80s has the type of dial or finger wheel that is held on with a screw in the middle, and will only take a self-adhesive sticker that looks a little out of place.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e