News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A long awaited project coming to completion

Started by Key2871, May 15, 2018, 04:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Folding extensions would be great. More space is always a good thing!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Exactly, and I've had good results just doing one side.
But I'm kicking around other ideas like storage under for other things, like less used tools. But I really want to figure out a place for my three ring binder with schematics and other telephone diagrams that I need handy. So I'm thinking maybe a small spot under the left wing for storing that for easy reach. It's hard for me to stand after sitting for even ten minutes, because of arthritis in my knees.
So having my tool box just to my right, is a help, but no place for my schematics. So I'm thinking of making a small wood cubby that could hold that, and it would be small enough to be out of the way in either way, the wing up or down.
I came across a bunch of plastic bins that was used for storage of Toy's. But I'm going to make wood runners and mount one under the center of the bench, so all I have to do is just pull it out so I can get what I need, or put it back just as easily.
And the intercom between the shed and the house has been great. I just have to remember to unplug it before a lightning storm, I have been looking for circuit protectors at the local CO but they don't seem to be replacing any lately.
So my next step is to get some hinges and make a lock device for the wing. I've bought commercial ones, but don't like how they work, as much as making my own.
When I get that going, I'll post more pictures.
KEN

HarrySmith

It's nice to have what you need right at hand. I would probably spend more time with my phones if I had a dedicated area set up with what I need right there. I have the most used tools out but that's about it. Everything else is stored in a closet in the office or under a table in the living room. I have to get up & search everytime I need something. Makes it that much more difficult to work. Plus I have to remember what is where! I finally found a transformer for the NE Contour I have been trying to get woking. Took me 3 weeks to remember where they were and about an hour to dig them out! What a pain!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Do you have a garage or shed ? Or just your house.
What I would do, is figure out what tools you need to do your phone work, and either buy. Or make a tool box you can just grab and go, when you're done, put it all back.
Walmart has Stanley canvas tool bags for about $20. And they hold a lot of stuff, has pouches inside and out, and Don't take up a lot of space.
All your tools are right there, unzip and your Golden.
KEN

HarrySmith

No garage or shed. If I did I would be fine with that. I live in a condo, hence the dining room table. I have one corner with a mat, a work light and my tools in a couple of small boxes(business card size) out, that's it for now!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Ah, OK. Well like I said you do what you can with what you have.
KEN

compubit

I've done a workbench in the past with some remnant countertop, particularly with a rounded or waterfall edge  (so I don't kill my wrists on a "sharp" edge). I like the raised back, so things don't fall off the back.  With hinged supports and a hinge on the back, they can be made to fold out of the way if needed.

(Sorry, no pictures as it was many years and several houses ago...)

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Key2871

There ya go, I'd like rounded edges too. I had a regular desk at one point, and the edges were hard on the wrists. And yea things had the habit of going off the back.
KEN

Key2871

Last Friday, I had the panel in my house replaced by an electrician friend of ours. He also ran 12-2 UF to my shed, now I have full time power for my bench setup so I can make intercom calls back and forth between the house and shed.

I have an extension cut for the work bench just waiting to get hinges and mount the extension to the bench. Also working on a drawer bin under it for storage, and a place for my binder manual. Pictures to follow when I get the extension mounted, and the bin drawer.
It's been so hot, haven't done any thing much.
KEN

HarrySmith

Cool! Can't wait to see the improvements. I guess the next thing you need is A/C!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Lol, that's what Jen said yesterday, I do put a fan out there, and even that was an improvement..
Yea an AC would be nice, more of a luxury. But Jen can find a small one for cheap on FB then I just need to get my saw out and start cutting. Even a small window on the back wall would be nice. Oh well someday ..
KEN

19and41

It's coming up upon that time of year when A/C units become very reasonable.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

I found my light for my work bench, led 100 watt uses12 watts.
I plan on placing it over head of my bench, in a piece of ply wood, left center. It should be a bright source. Better that my old work light.

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/led-56cw/5-6-12w-led-retrofit-downlight-cool-white/1.html  ( Link reported dead on 1/28/19 )

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/led-56ww/5-6-12w-led-retrofit-downlight-warm-white/1.html
KEN

Babybearjs

On the LED lighting, I found a site, though it is Chinese.. Called "Tmart.com" they have quite a lot of different LEDs to choose from. if you don't mind waiting for your package... they are worth investigating... I bought a few items from them in the past.. but there selection keeps changing, so you never know what you'll find...
John