News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Brass WE Space Saver

Started by Doug Rose, May 27, 2019, 09:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found this Brass Space Saver, it was just parts. I put it together with a Red thermoplastic handset with a real nice cord and a 4J dial that was painted red around the side that came from a damaged Red 202. Brass Parts might not be real. It does make a nice display....Doug
Kidphone

wds

Nice.  One of these just sold - could this be gold plated and not brass?
Dave

HarrySmith

It does display nicely. Is it reproduction parts or real WE parts that are plated? Could it possibly be gold?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

I was the winner of the auction. Could be gold as Brass doesn't match it as I originally put a brass finger wheel on it and it was way off color wise. I never thought of gold. I had the red parts and they seem to fit visually better on it It is different....Doug
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

Very nice looking phone.
That is a great combination of colors.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

RB

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Pourme

~

We will just assume it's gold.......

;D
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

FABphones

I've only recently started to read up on plating, having been treated to a gold plating kit. At the moment it is a box of chemicals I still need to learn more about, but here is a little of what I have found out should it come in handy to anyone.....

There are various types of brass (over 60), because the % of zinc/copper varies, the alloys (Brass), won't all look the same.

There are several ways to test for gold/gold plate. Some will give a more accurate result than others. The first three below are just guides and can be easily done at home, the last test requires Nitric Acid.

1) Rub the metal the between the fingers, if it smells of anything it is not gold.

2) Apply liquid foundation then face powder to your forehead. Carefully rub the (possibly) gold piece across the area (caution if sharp areas). If a black streak is left behind, the piece may be gold or have gold content.

3) The opposite applies if held in a clean hand - gold doesn't leave any marks/spots or stains on skin, but a black or green chemical reaction to perspiration may confirm an alloy.

Or, for a more accurate result, the Nitric Acid test:

4) With a small file make a scratch in an inconspicuous spot. While wearing rubber gloves use a wooden/glass/plastic stick to apply a small drop of Nitric Acid to the scratch. Observe the reaction to check for gold plate:

Bright green? Not gold - base metal.
Green in scratch? Gold layer over base metal.

(When finished rinse everything well in running water. Handle Nitric Acid with great care. Read the safety instructions carefully, and dispose of with caution).

If I've got any of this wrong I'm sure someone will help out a bit more....
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Kidphone

HowardPgh

That plating looks like the plating on the Imperial 202s. I think its called rhodium, similar to the plating on costume jewelry.
Howard

FABphones

Quote from: HowardPgh on May 28, 2019, 11:39:17 AM
That plating looks like the plating on the Imperial 202s. I think its called rhodium, similar to the plating on costume jewelry.

Not Rhodium, wrong colour (and expensive - part of the Platinum group).
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Babybearjs

beautiful Phone. If I had that, I'd do it in Black, Not Red. Black and Brass seems to go together better than red... BUT... it was designed after a old Fire extinguisher... so go figure! A fireman's phone!
John

Doug Rose

Quote from: Babybearjs on May 28, 2019, 03:01:48 PM
beautiful Phone. If I had that, I'd do it in Black, Not Red. Black and Brass seems to go together better than red... BUT... it was designed after a old Fire extinguisher... so go figure! A fireman's phone!
John...I originally had it with a black fingerwheel on a 5H with the normal black paint with an E1.  Changed it to a Brass fingerwheel with a brass retainer ring.  Third try was my winner with the Red. I had the red parts for awhile with no where to put them....Doug
Kidphone

Babybearjs

so, Doug, you're the seller? or the owner?
John