News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Shiny Phone Monday

Started by compubit, April 17, 2017, 07:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

I just arrived at home after being gone for the Easter weekend with packages in hand.  While away, I received 2 text messages from USPS stating I have packages to pick up.

Opening them up revealed a black ITT 2564 (sans bell), and these 2 shiny phones:

A gold 564 from eBay (not the nice NOS one from several weeks ago, but another), as well as a Princess 1702 Imperial.

I was really excited to win the 1702 Imperial, but it took 3 weeks before it arrived. Now I have all 3 styles of Imperial: Rotary, 10 button and 12 button!

The gold 564 has seen better days, but it also fills a hole in my 5-line color collection (down to ivory and aqua blue now).

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Victor Laszlo

"...a hole in my 5-line color collection (down to ivory and aqua blue now)."

Do you have a clear, a turquoise, a gray, and a pink?

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on April 18, 2017, 09:57:34 AM
"...a hole in my 5-line color collection (down to ivory and aqua blue now)."

Do you have a clear, a turquoise, a gray, and a pink?
I'm not sure about Transparent, but I know he has Turquoise, Gray, and Pink. But, you still need to find the 2 other colors offered during the 'Holy Grail' years; Oxford Gray and Mahogany Brown. :)

Great finds! Why do you say the 564 has seen better days? It sure looks like it's in nice shape to me!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

compubit

I have turquoise and light gray. No pink, nor clear, nor soft-plastic colors. I do have ash and chocolate brown ITT models. Right now, my goals are finding aqua blue and ivory 564/565 phones to cover the "basic 8" colors. The turquoise was a surprise, as I was expecting a blue phone (it even has the turquoise line cable, but it's damaged, in that some of the wires are nicked along the way)

As for the gold 564,
There is a little color loss on Some of the bottom edges of the 564, but it's not from wear like I see where two pieces touch. It's not flaking off (smooth across the edge where the color disappears) but not perfect.

I'm wondering if the handset was flashed later, as the gold color is slightly different, and there's some "fill-in" around the "Western Electric" logo and "Made in USA" and "G3". The base, on the other hand, is a top notch job, with the "BELL SYSTEM MADE BY Western Electric" being very "crisp" (no fill-in in the letter or logo).  Would the 564 possibly have had a white handset originally which was switched out at some point (similar to the Princess Imperial)?  The gold in the 565 base  matches the gold in the Princess Imperials...

A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Jim Stettler

Nice Bling.
I was watching both phones. You got a great deal on the princess.
As far as the 564, I have seen the gold with mismatched handsets. I used to think the handset was swapped out later, The other thought is they were assembled like that, but the handset and the housings were flashed at different times.
Either way they are nice phone.
Good find,
Jim S.
BTW I have a clear ITT/Kellogg 564,
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

Luck guys! I've been after a gold 564 for awhile...did they offer a gold 2564? I'd like to see that....I just added a ITT Brown 564 to my collection... still after the other colors too. there was a blue and a yellow 564 on ebay last week.... but the starting bid was too high for me....
John