"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What else do you guys collect?

Started by Steve, December 22, 2008, 10:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Stevens

Steve,
It's not common knowledge, but the coolest of us collect TV lamps!  ;)

tvlamps.net

HobieSport

Actually I knew about your TV lamps, Mark.  I was just in denial.  Now that I look at them they are really neat. But I won't be bidding on any. ;D

mienaichizu

I do collect anything that is old and antique, but generally i collect telephones, of course!, office equipments, furnitures, etc. Sometimes I use it as subject for photography
here are some samples

HobieSport

I collect thousands of beautiful women.  They are all hiding at the moment.  Camera shy perhaps. ;)

McHeath

QuoteI collect thousands of beautiful women.  They are all hiding at the moment.  Camera shy perhaps.

I'm always having dodge all the beautiful women when I go out, even wear dark glasses and pull my ball cap low,  as there is nothing more attractive to women than a guy with a bunch of old rotary phones. 

McHeath

Mienaichizu I like your pictures.   Especially the typewriter keys pic, that's nice, would be good blown up large and hung on the wall. 

Steve

Quote from: Mark Stevens on December 23, 2008, 07:38:03 AM
Steve,
It's not common knowledge, but the coolest of us collect TV lamps!  ;)

tvlamps.net

Very cool.

what are the lamps called that were mounted on a spring loaded pole, and went floor to ceiling? they had 3-4 adjustable heads on the pole.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

mienaichizu

Quote from: McHeath on December 23, 2008, 04:11:28 PM
Mienaichizu I like your pictures.   Especially the typewriter keys pic, that's nice, would be good blown up large and hung on the wall. 

thanks McHeath

Sargeguy

Quote from: McHeath on December 23, 2008, 02:08:35 AM

(oops, I realized at about 5am this morning that it should be "Pius Filus" and not "felix".  How's that for an indicator that I had too much time on my hands?) 

You were right the first time.  It translates to Imperator ("Conquering general") Valerius Licinianus Licinius (full name) Pius Felix ("dutiful and wise") Augustus ("emperor").  As co-emperor from 308-324 he was more of a second banana than a big cheese.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Bill Cahill

Here are a few pics of some of my interests.
In the stereo picture, only one spkr. is in the picture, and, my dog Mike is enjoying a record on it.
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

McHeath

QuoteYou were right the first time.  It translates to Imperator ("Conquering general") Valerius Licinianus Licinius (full name) Pius Felix ("dutiful and wise") Augustus ("emperor").  As co-emperor from 308-324 he was more of a second banana than a big cheese.

Ah, guess my college era Latin is rusty.  The only thing I use it much for is reading the latin on college logos on people's sweatshirts or such. 

I only have one Roman coin, a small bronze with Constantine the Great on it.  In a moment of pure utter brilliance I cleaned it so it would be nice and shiny.  I can just hear the guy on Antiques Roadshow, "Well, this was a rare coin of a type unknown, clearly the sole surviving representative of it's group.  It was worth about 200 billion dollars.  But since you cleaned it with Ajax and silver polish it's worth about a buck fifty nine."

Dan

I collect soft drink stuff-or 'pop" as we call it in the midwest. Coke, pepsi, mountain dew. Also pinball machines. phones fill up a little less space than pinballs though...
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Sargeguy

I only have one Roman coin, a small bronze with Constantine the Great on it.  In a moment of pure utter brilliance I cleaned it so it would be nice and shiny.  I can just hear the guy on Antiques Roadshow, "Well, this was a rare coin of a type unknown, clearly the sole surviving representative of it's group.  It was worth about 200 billion dollars.  But since you cleaned it with Ajax and silver polish it's worth about a buck fifty nine."

I wouldn't worry too much.  It was probably only worth about $5-10 anyway, so it wasn't too devastating a loss.  Bury it in your yard, in another century or so the patina will return and no one will know the difference.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Mark Stevens

Quote from: Dan on December 26, 2008, 09:11:49 PM
I collect soft drink stuff-or 'pop" as we call it in the midwest. Coke, pepsi, mountain dew. Also pinball machines. phones fill up a little less space than pinballs though...

I collected old bottles many years ago, and had many that represented obscure brands of "pop". A friend of mine has the most extensive collection of Texas bottles in existence.  This photo shows part of his collection (less than a quarter of them), lined up alphabetically by city.

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI