News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40 Y-1164 from Brockville with decal

Started by unbeldi, January 15, 2017, 03:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Here is one of the not so common AE 40 codes, Y1164, and with a Brockville water decal that actually has the patent years printed rather than patent numbers.   It would be nice to find this label intact, so one could read the latest years printed.    I am suspecting that these years are for the Canadian patent grants, not the US versions.  In particular I am curious which patent it was that is associated with the year 1943, as I haven't come across a relevant US patent granted that year.  So I suspect it is one of those granted in the US in 1942.

AE_Collector

I do have a Y1264  B  YK set here somewhere, also very likely a Brockville set. I did a quick search for it in the piles of "stuff" but came up empty but will try again soon.

Terry

Ktownphoneco

Karl   ....    This decal is a little rough around the edges, but the patent dates are legible.       You may also want to try searching by the inventor name.    Hebert Frederick OBERGFELL had a lot to do with these sets.     Two Canadian patents I ran across in a very quick search, are No's :  415423 June 30/1939 and  417942 Sept. 15/1939.

Jeff

unbeldi

Thanks, Jeff.
Your label appears to match the one in the picture roughly, with the exception that it is a paper label and not a water decal, and yours still identifies it as Phillips and not AE.
I can now also read the form number knowing what it is on yours: B-7803.   However, the last digit appears too fat to match the "1" in your label, so perhaps the decal is indeed a later version and may have additional years listed in the missing parts.

Was yours found on a Type 40 or a 50 set ?

unbeldi

Do you have other examples that would tell when AE stopped identifying Brockville as Phillips, using the AE name ?

Most AE 40 or 50s from Brockville, I think, are stamped instead of labeled.

Ktownphoneco

It's on a Type 40.    Hopefully Terry will find his and in better shape.

Jeff

Ktownphoneco

I did have something on that.    I'll see if I can find the information.   

Jeff

AE_Collector

Jeff's label looks to be a (quite damaged) gold water transfer type label to me, not a paper label.

AE Canada's new plant at Brockville opened in 1954 so presumably that is when the labels from Brockville would have changed from Phillips to AE Canada.

I have seen lots of ink stamped labels from Brockville but gold water transfers as well. The odd think is that very few AE 50's in Canada (so logically built at Brockville) had any sort of patent labels on them. Same with 43 wall sets. They didn't stick them on the top of 50's like they did on the US made wall sets. Yet most desk sets from Canada have a label or stamp on the base.

1A sets from the US almost always have the Automatic Electric identification on the plate in the cradle area yet Canadian AE 1A sets almost always have a blank unlabelled plate in the cradle.

Terry

Ktownphoneco

Karl   ...   This is the information I have on Phillips Electrical Works and Automatic Electric in Brockville, Ontario.   " In Canada, Automatic Electric acquired Phillips Electrical Works, a cable factory in Brockville, Ontario in 1930.     Telephones were manufactured at that facility from 1935 until 1953, when Automatic Electric sold the cable plant and built a 33 acre, 1.5 million dollar telephone factory at 100 Strowger Blvd., in the City of Brockville.      The Strowger Blvd., factory was sold to "BC Tel" in 1979 and operated under the name "Microtel".    The plant was later purchased by "Nortel" in 1990, and operated as "Brock Telecom" until 1999.    The Strowger Blvd., plant closed completely in 2002.      The Phillips Cable plant closed sometime in the 1990's, and later totally demolished.

Jeff

unbeldi

Ok, thanks.
It appears that Automatic Electric Canada was founded in May 1953, with the sale of the cable division and the begin of construction of the new plant.
I would say they also dropped the Phillips name at that time, as that name apparently stayed with the cable division.
It is unclear where they manufactured from May 1953 until the opening of the new plant in September 1954.   Did they rent space in the old plant or did they stop manufacturing for a while?  I suspect the former.