News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Very Late Dated F1 and HA1

Started by rp2813, February 08, 2009, 08:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

I recently uncovered an old lineman's butt set that has a messed up dial.  I realized that it likely used the same capsules as a 302 so I opened it up.  No easy thing as the rubber that surrounds the transmitter and receiver ends is rather stubborn to pry apart.  What I found inside was surprising.  First, the HA1 receiver capsule is dated (only once in vermillion) 12/61.  Then I opened the other end and found F1 transmitter capsule dated (only once in vermillion) 3/66.  Also, the transmitter uses the same cover piece as on the retrofit of the E1 handset for the F1 capsule.

So, it appears that WE made F1 handset components well into the 1960's.  The difference with these two capsules is that due to the circuitry of the lineman's set, they have wires soldered onto them.  So they aren't "capsules" in that sense.

Have I discovered something or is this common knowledge among collectors?

Ralph

Ralph

BDM

Very interesting. I have one here I've meant to open up.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

benhutcherson

I had no idea that they would continue making the capsules for that long. From what we've seen, new 302 production was pretty well done by '53 or so(maybe '54), and possibly a little bit later for the various wall phone variants.

In any case, though, even the later 5302s used full G-1 handsets with T-1/U-1 elements, so it doesn't seem as though there would be any call for the F-1/HA-1 except in these lineman's sets. It looks like it would be a lot more expensive to keep making an obsolete design than to just redesign the set.

rp2813

I thought for sure that the lineman's sets that I have were much older.  These are the type with the tiny nubs I presume you use a fingernail or special tool in order to dial.  It's hard to believe WE was still manufacturing these parts so late but I can't think of any other explanation for a single date in vermillion.  I tried to capture images using my web cam but it won't do a clear shot close up to read the dates.

BDM, be careful when you open yours up.  The dial end pries apart fairly easily but the transmitter end is nearly impossible (it was for me anyway) to get apart.  On mine, the rubber casing was already torn on that end but I made it a little worse. 
Ralph