News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hang up question

Started by ntophones, October 14, 2009, 04:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

What value of capacitor did you install?

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Quote from: ntophones on October 15, 2009, 12:45:22 PM
THanks for the info!
I'll try that. This phone did have a frequency ringer. It worked fine until I installed the SL ringer, but, I also installed a new butler bar. I wonder if it drags a little. I will do what you suggest, and see.
Thanks!

Is the reason you installed the SL ringer, because the phone worked except the ringer did not ?
If not why did you change it ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

ntophones

Yes, I wanted it to ring properly. It worked fine, otherwise.
So, I got a new ringer and condenser. I hooked them up (hopefully, I wired it correctly). Now, everything works except that it will not disconnect and get a dial tone back if someone has called our phone number.
Otherwise, if I dial and connect with another phone, I can hang up and disconnect and get a dial tone back right away.
I just wanted a working phone, since I like to hear a phone ring.
--nto

ntophones

I cleaned the contacts and the hook switch. Now it works more smoothly, but, still, something is wrong.
This puzzles me. It seems like it should never be able to disconnect and get a dial tone. I can't figure out why it would work one way and not the other.
Does that make sense to anyone?
--nto

JorgeAmely

Is the new ringer and capacitor the type you have to solder to the wiring harness?
Jorge

ntophones

Um...it came with wires attached. I just hooked the connectors to the terminals, according to the circuit diagram. (I think, that is...I'm not the best at reading that diagram. Although, it is the only way it would ring correctly.)
--nto

ntophones

So, I wonder what would you think if a phone never was able to disconnect?
--nto

Phonesrfun

It would be any one of several things, but the likely things would be:

A: Bad hookswitch that is always turned "on" as if in the off-hook position, even when visibly on-hook.  This can happen when contacts get bent or weld themselves together.  The confusing thing is that the phone would never hang up, regardless of who initiated the call.  From your earlier posts, I think you said that if you were the initiator of the call, you could hang up the phone.  You might clarify this.

B: Something inside the phone such as the ringer is bypassing the hookswitch and causing the phone to be drawing current even when the phone is on hook.  The ringer comes to mind since it is always in the circuit, and should not draw current, and you said that you did replace the ringer.  The problem with this scenario is that with this problem you would not be able to dial the phone either, and I believe you said you were able to complete a call.

So, please clarify some things:

First, are you ever able to hang up the phone, or is unplugging it the only way it will hang up?

Second, even if you have to unplug the phone to hang it up, once you do plug it in and get dial tone, can you successfully dial a number?

Third, is only applicable if the answer to the first question is that you can hang up the phone, and that is will the phone ring.  Obviously if you cannot get it to hang up, it will also never ring.

So, if you can clarify these things, it will help.  If this sounds repetetive, I am sorry, but sometimes us old guys need the repetition.

-Bill
-Bill G

ntophones

Thanks for your reply.
1) I can hang up the phone if I initiate a call on the phone. (I can dial the phone and ring another phone, after which, I can hang up the phone and get a dial tone.)

2) I can dial a number

3) The phone rings if I call from another phone.
Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate everyone.
--nto