News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2 line western electric 500 series phones

Started by princessphone, April 10, 2019, 01:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

princessphone

I have a few 2 line princess phones. They have a "plunger" switch incorporated into the hook switch to place line 1 on hold (by pulling it up)in order to switch over to line 2. How does a 500 series place a call on hold? They don't appear to have a pull up plunger switch neither does the 500 series wall unit counterpart. Just asking.
Thanks, John DeJonge 

poplar1

510 sets do not have white plunger. Other 2-line models (511? 515?) do.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

jsowers

Here are some pics that may help, from a 511. Two-line 500s have a keyswitch to change lines and the white plunger is on the left side of the switchhook. It's also used for exclusion, depending on how the phone is wired.
Jonathan

princessphone

Thanks for the response. So I take it that the 510 (probably the early version) was unable to place a call on hold, and just disconnected the first line when switching to the second line? John

Key2871

For a call to be placed on hold, there has to be someplace for the signal to go to hold the line open, a resistor for example. So when the plunger is pulled up, it holds the signal for the first line, allowing you to pick up on the second.
Other wise your call doesn't have anywhere to get held.
KEN

princessphone

Thanks Ken
Since the 510 model has no plunger switch, does the 510 model have a means to place a caller on line 1 "on hold" so that line 2 can be answered? That is without disconnecting the caller on line 1.
Another question: If I'm on line 1 and someone calls on line 2, will the phone ring?
I have so much to learn. Thanks, John   

Key2871

From what I remember, no. It just allows you to switch from one line to the other. Basically it's easier than having two phones on your desk, just takes up less space.
As I said there's no place to send the signal, I believe that's where the plunger switch came in. It's been a while since I have looked at those sets.
But it's a nice set to have, take care of it.
KEN

paul-f

John,

There are no simple answers, as this is not a simple topic. Jonathan's comment, "depending on how the phone is wired," peeks at the tip of the iceberg.

There are many variations of 510, 511 and 515 sets that look virtually identical, but differ in a few internal components and wiring. To understand the capabilities of all of them would take hours with the BSPs, studying the features and wiring. In addition to the different wiring variations available as a model number, the BSPs include options for the installer. Of course, clever installers weren't bound by the examples in the BSPs and found many creative ways to use the sets.

Some of the major variants are summarized in the table on the following link. Some of the BSPs to use for reference are in the rightmost column.  Happy reading!

http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#510

One example is your ringing question. The one internal ringer can be wired to ring on either line 1 or line 2.

However, sets wired to work with 1A2 or PBXs can take advantage of more complex ringing alternatives provided by the KSU or PBX. In many of those, the ringing leads are brought out as a separate pair in the mounting cord, so are under direct control of the KSU/PBX.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

princessphone

jsowers

I ran across this instruction sheet in an auction for a 2713BM Princess that may help you. I hope you can read it. Click on it to enlarge and click again to enlarge further and you may be able to read it. It outlines the procedure you mentioned, that to make or answer a second call, you pull up on the exclusion plunger (white switchhook button) to put the call on hold and then turn the line button to the other position. Notice to the right they show not only the Princess but many of their other two-line sets too. So this feature was available in more than the Princess. How it was wired, well, that may be harder to tell in this day and time.

So theoretically you can do what you proposed with the 2511/2515 desk model, 2558 wall model, 511/515 desk model, 558 wall model, 751 Panel Phone, 2751 Panel phone, 713 Princess and 2713 Princess. Paul's site also mentions the 712 Princess will put one line on hold but not two and the 711 won't do hold at all, FYI.

As for line two ringing, you can always install one of those E1C external baseboard ringers that were used with the 701 Princess to ring on line 2.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion. I know it helped me.  :)
Jonathan