"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My list of touch tone dials, and wiring

Started by Key2871, May 06, 2018, 12:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Key 2871:

Hi, I'll copy those as soon as I get to a regular computer.

In the meantime, I'll look up the tone dial info. I have as well.

I know I have info. on the SC-35A11 dials, and SanBar 701 toll restrictor dials, I'll look those up and get them to you.

When I have to retrofit a tone phone from time to time, I prefer to use the SC-35A11's and the SC network as they are easy to wire.

For decorator sets with white button tone dials I use the SC-35A11 NEU dial that is off white in color, they make good replacement.

Key2871

What's so different on the SC network's?
ITT PC network's are simple to wire, you just push the spade into the terminal.
It's quick, but not really as reliable as western or other screw terminal network's. Because sometimes the terminals fail to grip the spade tightly.
KEN

RotoTech99

You're correct, the ITT networks and SC pc networks are basically the same
type networks and ITT networks is the angled terminals; SC placed theirs at an angle. They also sometimes had screw terminals.

What I was referring to was their 35A11 dials...Early ones had both terminals and soldered leads, then changed to all terminals of which two accommodated the SL-WHITE and SL BROWN hook leads.

Surprisingly, they all also made a dial/network combo before being "assimilated" by Cortelco. If I recall correctly there are two versions of the 35A11, the main difference being the configuration of the dial leads and terminals on the back.

I'll look up my 35A11 dial info, and send it to you.

I think those would be good to add on your list.

Rototech99

The use of SC dials and networks for me is basically a preference as the off white dials they have are good for decorator and character phone retrofit.

I like to use what i have on hand, so I'll use ITT or whichever i have on hand once I determine the dial and network will work ok together.

Key2871

Well I don't do much with phone's like that anymore. I do have some it dials but not much else.
I used to do lots with those years ago, but I down sized big time so now I don't have much space, and cell phones are the rage, etc. I don't see any strombergs around here at all anymore. So given all the above factors, put I am not getting younger I really don't want any more.
So thanks for your offer, but I don't need them. If you want to post them here feel free.
KEN

RotoTech99

I understand... I'll go ahead and post what I have under this topic thread.
Thanks,
Rototech99

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

Here is a list of touch tone dials not on Key2871's list. I will add more as I find them. I have his permission to add them; but I thought they should be added as a new post instead of a topic reply.

If they're moved into the original thread, I wouldn't object...I just wasn't sure putting them in the original topic as replies would be a good idea.

Feedback and comments welcome.
Rototech99

1. Stromberg 35A3AP (polarity guard equipped)

Green lead to F on network.
Black lead to RR on network.
Red/Green lead to R on network.
White lead to GN on network.
White/Blue lead to E1 on network.
Red lead to E2 on network.
Orange/Black lead to C on network.

2. SC 35A1

Dial static shield to L1 on network
Red/Green lead to R on network.
White/Blue lead to E1 on network.
Red lead to E2 on network.
Orange/Black to C on network.

3. SC 35A11 (GREY & OFF WHITE VERSIONS)

Dial Static Shield to L1 on network.
Slate/White hook lead to "1" on dial.
Slate/white dial lead to RR on network.
Red green dial lead to R on network.
Red dial lead to E2 on network.
Orange/Black lead to C on network.
Slate/Brown hook lead to "2" on dial.

*Some types of this dial may have the dial leads in quick connect terminals,  and two quick connect terminals for the SL/WHITE and SL/BROWN hook leads. Other dials of this type have soldered the dial leads to the dial, and two quick connect terminals for the SL/BROWN and SL/WHITE hook leads.

This is what I have presently, and will add more as I find more dial info to add; feedback and comments welcome.

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

Thank you for moving my post to where it should be;  as I  mentioned I wasn't sure whether to add it as a reply, or as a new topic... I'd  experienced glitches when trying to post things before, so I thought it best to play it safe, and post it as a new topic.

I'm looking up more touch tone pads to add to the list, and will post them as I find them.

I apologize if I caused any confusion.

Rototech99

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

Here are a couple more dials with their wiring to add to the dial wiring list...

The first is an AE Co. D-84000A (112C) LCTCU Inductor coil touch tone pad. It is used with a WA-1155A network with the dial spark suppressor capacitor removed. In Decotel cradle and chestphones, a 4 terminal strip is added to the network to accommodate all the connections.

In an AE 80E, all the necessary connection points are provided.

AE Co. D-84000A TCU (112C)

White dial lead to 1
Blue dial lead to 13
Green dial lead to 2
Brown dial lead to 3
Slate dial lead to 12
Red dial lead to 7
Pink Dial lead to 15

AE D-84007 ICTCU (112D) This dial may be recognized by raised dot on the pound (#) key

White dial lead to 1
Blue dial lead to 13
Green dial lead to 2
Brown dial lead to 3
Slate dial lead to 12
Red dial lead to 7
Pink Dial lead  to 15
Blak/White dial lead to 5
Black dial static shield wire to 2

It shou;d be noted that the 112D superseded the 112C TCU

In a separate post I'll attach the diagram for a Touch Call dial equipped Cradlephone or Chestphone with notes.

Rototech99

RotoTech99

Here are the diagrams for the SC 35A3AP, SC 35A1, and SC 35A11 dials...

It took me awhile to locate them, but they will apply to the SC dials noted.

RotoTech99

Key2871

Too tech, thanks for the added information. I hope someone will find this information very helpful in the future.
I look forward to others adding dial information as well

Ken
KEN

RotoTech99

Hello,  Key2871:

I just wired a SC-35A11 into a WE2500 set with a 425K network... Here are the connections I made to get it functional:

Red/Green dial lead to S with Red Handset, Slate/White dial lead to RR, 
Orange/Black to C,  Red dial lead to T,
White dial lead to GN
Static shield lead to L2

White hook to 1 on dial,
Brown hook to 2 on dial

Now if someone can make a schematic reflecting this,  we'd be batting 100%; I can try,  and post it after I'm done,  but I hope there's a forum member who could draft one and post it before I could.
I believe this would work with other WE tone dial supporting networks as well.

RotoTech99

Key2871

A lot of the tone dials use WE wiring colors and terminating points. T & S on the 425 type network are mere tie points for connection of dial and handset wiring.
The number 2 terminal is part of a polarity guard in the dial circuit to make sure the dial will work, regardless of the tip and ring in coming to the tel set.
Review the dial wiring on ITT and WE sets, and you will see right off wiring familiarity.
ITT networks, use E1&E2 as tie points, just as the western networks use T & S, and those are only available with the plastic frame that clips onto the 425 type networks. Take that frame off and you would have to use GN as one tie point. Because GN is not connected electrically to any circuit in the network. These tie points are not at all connected as electrical parts of the network. They are there to connect handset leads with dial leads.
Schematic diagrams are limited to dial/ handset connections to network, along with tip, ring and hook switch connections. With the exception of the brown hook switch wire on newer dials for polarity guards, all the other hook switch wires are pretty much the same as any set.
KEN

RotoTech99

Dear Key2871:

ISTR that the WE 42K has the S and T terminals are already present on it; the 4228D has the grey plastic frame that  clips onto the network that adds the S & T terminals.

RotoTech99

Key2871

Thanks for that information. It's been a while since getting into WE Phones. I pretty much just test things these days.
KEN

RotoTech99

One thing I thought of is there may be one wire I can move that won't affect current operation of my 2500; but for now it's mainly an afterthought.

The next thing I plan to "tackle" is making a couple draft schematics,  probably based on the WE 2500 showing the variations I tried.

I'll go back and review your thread on your chrome dial 2500; that may tell me something Ioverlooked.

Rototech99