News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring a 191G - Removing broken dial studs

Started by RotarDad, January 01, 2016, 01:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

Question #2 on my project.  Here is a 6C 12-54 dial that experienced an impact while installed.  The finger stop was bent and all three mounting studs were sheared off - this was a "parts phone".   I'm looking for ideas for removing the remaining stud sections still in the threads on the two mounts nearest the spade contacts.  The third one was looser and I was able to coax it free with a small screw driver.  Thank you!!!
Paul

rdelius

You might be able to remove them by removing the dial #plate if the holes go all the way through.Use a small drill from the front

RotarDad

Rdelius - The mount holes do go through.  How would I use a drill without risking damage to the threads?  Are you thinking manually turning a drill bit clockwise from the front of the dial may bite into the stud and back it out?  Thank you!
Paul

NorthernElectric

If the screws are soft enough and not too tight in the threads, here is an idea that might save you drilling.  Get one of those jewellers screw drivers with a blade about the same width as the screw and tap the blade against the end of the broken screw.  The idea is that if the screw is soft enough you might be able to make enough of a slot in it to turn it out.  You might want to dismantle the dial to avoid damage.  I have used this technique once or twice successfully, though not on a phone dial.
Cliff

Phonesrfun

The broken off screw shafts are most likely relatively loose and should be able to be coaxed out with a little finessing.  I would work from the top of the screw where it broke off and use a small drill bit on a very slow speed, or a small jeweler screwdriver (like NorthernElectric mentioned) to catch on the jagged top where it broke off.  Try to screw it further into the hole until it comes out the other end.  Once enough of it has emerged from the other end, you can grab onto it with a pair of needle-nosed pliers and screw it all the way out of the hole.
-Bill G

RotarDad

Success!!   I experimented a bit using all of the input provided.  Rdelius, your method of drilling from the front of the dial eventually backed out the studs.  One was a real bear, probably because the stud bent some before shearing off.  It is tough to keep a small drill on top of the stud so as to prevent damage to the softer casting around it - slow and careful was required.  Thank you for all the input!!
Paul