News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

No battery in a Panasonic KX-T61610?

Started by podor, September 12, 2015, 10:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

podor

I have a KX-T61610, version 3, that has no battery or pigtail visible. I haven't popped the cover off to see if the pigtail just got pushed back inside or something. Did any of these not come with a battery? I've got the programing set perfect, and I don't feel like doing it all over again.

Phonesrfun

They all come with a battery as far as I know.  Perhaps someone took the cover off and did not thread the battery pigtail back into the battery area before putting the cover back on.  I would take the cover off and look.
-Bill G

TelePlay

This is the connector on a replacement battery I picked up last year.

It's black but the correct connector for the female on the pigtail in my 616, which is white. I only have one 616 so maybe they came in other colors. But as Phonesrfun said, they all came with a battery.

The cost of the correct replacement battery (the right size with the right connector) was about $12 plus shipping. There are several discussion of 616 batteries, here is one link.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13471.msg141312#msg141312

twocvbloke

Has it been directly attached to the PCB inside the unit perhaps?

podor

Thanks guys. Price is pretty reasonable, so I got one coming. It may be a while until I get a chance to pop it open.

podor

I received my battery today. I popped the cover off and I cannot for the life of me find the pigtail. What am I missing?

twocvbloke

Could you take a picture of the inside of the unit? It's either been tucked inside the case or it's been modernised with a PCB-mounded battery...

podor

Here's the inside. I lifted the top board up enough to see underneath. I looked for another battery of some type and I didn't see anything.

podor

Here's another pic and the tag. Not sure if it is a late production model? 11/98 is hand written on the inside of the cover. Not sure if that was when it was taken out of service or a refurbished or service date.

twocvbloke

If there's a connection or replacement for the battery in there, it'd be on the board underneath....

unbeldi

Quote from: podor on September 19, 2015, 06:39:05 PM
Here's another pic and the tag. Not sure if it is a late production model? 11/98 is hand written on the inside of the cover. Not sure if that was when it was taken out of service or a refurbished or service date.

I am not sure this model line was made anymore in 1998.  But in any case, the battery connects to a red/black wire pair terminated in the lower main circuit board. It should have emerged somewhere by the gray ribbon cable.

The top circuit board contains primarily the station line interface circuits, the power fail relays, and the jacks.  The lower board contains the processor and the cross point switch.

Since you got this far, popping out the top board is not too hard.

unbeldi

Here is a picture of the lower main board of a version 3 unit.

You can see the black/red pair on the left-hand side.

podor

Well, there is a CR2354 mounted to the board instead (wrapped in yellow). Mystery solved. Anyone need a battery? I'll try to post pictures later. I keep getting the security error.

unbeldi

Was this installed in the factory?

The CR2354 is not rechargeable, so it will eventually run out too.

I thought you were looking for the battery because your unit did not hold the configuration.

PS:  try resizing your picture by 1 pixel or so.

TelePlay

The connector on the rechargeable battery is a male JST-SMP-02N (N for neutral or white, also come in B for black)

The pigtail on the 616 has a female JST-SMR-02N (same as the -02B) in case you want to and are able to add the pigtail to reach the battery compartment.

JST is the  manufacturer (Japan Solderless Terminals), SMR-02 is the two conductor connector. Problem is finding one in small quantity at a reasonable price (minimum order problems with a 10 cent connector) that already has the pins wired in.

Or just replace the battery connector to whatever works for you.