"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Best way to wire up a collection? (PBX)

Started by AL_as_needed, May 03, 2016, 02:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Quote from: oldguy on May 15, 2016, 09:46:29 PM
Hey Benny, did you give in & pay the full price, or did they take a $25 offer? Even if you paid full price, you more than made up for it on the BK Precision 1045A phone taster.

I gave in....after a while you get tired of shopping....This one appeared to be in good condition...
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

AL_as_needed

Let me know how it works out once you get it all set up Pourme and oldguy.

A PBX like the 308 sounds like the next  "big" phase in  enabling my collection to grow, as well as to enter more technologically involved waters. I am taking over a friends business, so a PBX may actually be more practical than just from a collecting standpoint for me. Naturally some of my phones are already being put back into "active duty" taking and making company calls.
TWinbrook7

Pourme

Quote from: AL_as_needed on May 16, 2016, 01:02:20 PM
Let me know how it works out once you get it all set up Pourme and oldguy.

A PBX like the 308 sounds like the next  "big" phase in  enabling my collection to grow, as well as to enter more technologically involved waters. I am taking over a friends business, so a PBX may actually be more practical than just from a collecting standpoint for me. Naturally some of my phones are already being put back into "active duty" taking and making company calls.

I see many practical uses...In addition to just having fun with our old phones...Thinking how I might configure mine now...I have a home office with a business line as well...
Benny

oldguy

I have 8 dial phones hooked up, but not hooked up to the land line line & it works great. I have had the land line hooked up & it works that way too.  I am having trouble with some of my touch tone phones on the 308, They seem to work ok on my land line. So it seems to be either my 308 or the 308 settings are the problem. I would have thought I would have had problems with the dial phones & the touch tone phones would have been ok.
Gary

Pourme

My 308 arrived just a few short hours ago. I don't have a priority phone for it (yet). After playing with it for a few minutes I notice, (I haven't wired it into a CO line at all) every phone I add as extensions will ring when dialed but, the touch tone phones can't dial up any extension. I can only connect with rotary dial phones.

I searched this forum extensively to no avail. I pushed the reset button and no difference, suggestions?

Thanks, Benny
Benny

unbeldi

Quote from: Pourme on May 18, 2016, 05:59:41 PM
My 308 arrived just a few short hours ago. I don't have a priority phone for it (yet). After playing with it for a few minutes I notice, (I haven't wired it into a CO line at all) every phone I add as extensions will ring when dialed but, the touch tone phones can't dial up any extension. I can only connect with rotary dial phones.

I searched this forum extensively to no avail. I pushed the reset button and no difference, suggestions?

Thanks, Benny

What kind of TouchTone telephone are you connecting ?

If I recall correctly, the 308 systems have the polarity of tip and ring reversed on the RJ11 station jacks.  So if you are using an early TouchTone set, dialing does not work, unless a polarity guard is installed in the telephone.

If you are using a fairly new phone, it should not matter of course.

Can you hear the DTMF tones when dialing?

Pourme

Quote from: unbeldi on May 18, 2016, 06:33:55 PM
What kind of TouchTone telephone are you connecting ?

If I recall correctly, the 308 systems have the polarity of tip and ring reversed on the RJ11 station jacks.  So if you are using an early TouchTone set, dialing does not work, unless a polarity guard is installed in the telephone.

If you are using a fairly new phone, it should not matter of course.

Can you hear the DTMF tones when dialing?

You are correct!....All 3 phones were older touchtone phones, I can't hear the tones when I dial.  I used my "modern" RCA office phone and Presto!...it worked!

If I use these older phones I reverse the polarity and they will work?....I will experiment with that.

Thank you oh, phone whisperer!

Benny
Benny

unbeldi

Yes, reversing polarity will fix it.
If you have new 6P4C connectors and a crimping tool—I would guess almost any collector should have one—then you can cut off one of the ends of a cord and crimp a new connector on in the opposite way, so that you have a straight-through cable.  I usually mark such cables with a color band or something, such as a straight stripe with a black marker pen on silver-gray flat cord.

The reason for Panasonic reversing the pins is probably the same logic as employed in many VoIP ATAs, to enable residential users to simply use a standard modular cord and plug an extension into the wall outlet of home telephone wiring which has been disconnected from the network interface of the telephone company.

The larger 16-station PBXs, KX-T61610 have the proper polarity.

unbeldi

Of course, I am not advocating cutting off the end of  a historic original Western Electric modular cord, that I would preserve and make a polarity switching adapter from a four-inch short piece of telephone cord and a female-female coupler.  Such couplers can be found extremely inexpensively.  I think I bought a bag of 50 one time, for a few dollars.

Pourme

I opened up the DecoTel "box" type phone that was one of the touch tone phones and reversed the polarity at the network and it worked like a charm!...

Now, as my original house phone wiring system is occupied & I don't want to include it, where is the best place to order 8 jacks and about 10 miles of phone wire? Left on my own I may wind up with inferior products at a high price.  Plus I will be needing one of those crimping tool and connectors as well.  I live in a small community and I find it's much easier to order specialized products, Radio Shack is the only alternative here.
Benny

AL_as_needed

I used to have wire ordered by the spool (1000ft) through the Home Depot website as they did not carry it in store. It worked out to be cheaper, as did the outlets and boxes (bought by the case). Although they may not carry it online anymore, have not had to wire in hard-line phone lines for a few years now.
TWinbrook7

AE_Collector

Pourme

Benny

Pourme

The 308 has found it's new home....
Benny

unbeldi

Quote from: Pourme on May 19, 2016, 11:09:24 AM
The 308 has found it's new home....

I like your idea of displaying it.
Mister Matsushita would have been proud of it, lol.
Considering how old some these 308s are, they are perhaps as worthy of display as many phones of that era.
I think Panasonic started designing the first generation of these about the time of the break-up of the Bell System.