News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Panasonic KX-T Phone Compatibility Guide

Started by RotarDad, May 21, 2016, 01:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

I've been looking for a phone to program my 616 PBX, and I've read many threads here that have been quite helpful with various model numbers.  I was searching on the web, and found a nice guide on Ebay.  Can't vouch for its accuracy, but it does seem to match the things I've read that Unbeldi posted:

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Panasonic-KX-T-Phone-Compatibility-Guide-/10000000178008431/g.html
Paul

oldguy

I would like to know what compatible as extension phone or programming phones. 
Gary

RotarDad

Gary - Great point! Does "compatible" means the phone will simply work on the system, or is the listed PBX able to be programmed by that phone.....   We need Unbeldi's expertise and vast documentation once again........
Paul

unbeldi

Yes, that guide covers many phones and PBX types, but it leaves out what most here are interested in.

I did compile a smaller list highlighting the phone types for configuration of systems most commonly discussed here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13519.msg141328#msg141328

RotarDad

Unbeldi -Thanks once again!  I initially thought I'd found helpful info, but your list includes the data we need.  I'm now starting to look for a KX-T7030.  One more question: when settings are changed in a Panasonic 616, for example, where are the settings stored?  Does the 616 need a battery to keep those settings in an outage?  Mine doesn't have a battery.... Thank you!
Paul

unbeldi

Quote from: RotarDad on May 22, 2016, 12:42:40 AM
Unbeldi -Thanks once again!  I initially thought I'd found helpful info, but your list includes the data we need.  I'm now starting to look for a KX-T7030.  One more question: when settings are changed in a Panasonic 616, for example, where are the settings stored?  Does the 616 need a battery to keep those settings in an outage?  Mine doesn't have a battery.... Thank you!

They are stored in a memory that is powered with a battery and a super cap.  I think we have had reports here that on some of the later versions, or perhaps only some of the British versions, the battery is was omitted.

The battery is tucked away in a slot in the housing accessible when the front door is open. It is on the left hand side, covered by a laminated cardboard strip.   The battery is removable, and can be replaced.   If you want to get the unit back to factory default settings, simply unplug the battery and let the unit sit without it for a while until the capacitor(s) is/are discharged. I can't remember right now how long that takes.

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on May 22, 2016, 09:14:09 AM
They are stored in a memory that is powered with a battery and a super cap.  I think we have had reports here that on some of the later versions, or perhaps only some of the British versions, the battery is was omitted.

The battery is tucked away in a slot in the housing accessible when the front door is open. It is on the left hand side, covered by a laminated cardboard strip.   The battery is removable, and can be replaced.   If you want to get the unit back to factory default settings, simply unplug the battery and let the unit sit without it for a while until the capacitor(s) is/are discharged. I can't remember right now how long that takes.

This is the battery/no battery topic

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14945.0

in which unbeldi contributed a lot of information about both setups. Most of the members did not know a battery free 616 existed until this question was asked back then and fully discusses, for both types of 616s.

oldguy

I bid on a 7030, waitng. I bid under the name "skilled_ga" if you want to check, instead of outbidding me ;-)
Gary

oldguy

I was outbid. the 1st time the phone was listed nobody bid on it & I missed the end. when it was listed a few days ago, I was hoping for the same, but no such luck & I was too cheap to buy it for what it went for.
Gary

dbsoundman

Just bought a KX-T7030 and used it to program my 30810 system this week, no problems except the programming keys are totally different on the 7030 so you'll want to download the manual for it.

oldguy

Good information dbsoundman. Does the overlay in the manual work?
Gary

andy1702

I've got two 616s that I'm hoping to use for phone displays at shows. I've already used one but haven't tried the other yet. I didn't program it, I just relied on the system defaults, which were ok just for ringing from one phone on the table to another. From memory I think one has a battery and the other has the compartment but nothing in it. I'd assumed the battery was just to run a clock or something and the settings would be on some sort of flash memory chip, so I'm learning something new here. I'll have a closer look at them and report back.

I don't have any spare programing phones, but I do have about 10 Panassonic extension phones going spare which I'm looking to sell or swap if anybody wants one. They're quite useful as a concession to modernity that you can plug in when you need to access things like telephone banking etc.

Andy
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

TelePlay

Quote from: andy1702 on January 08, 2017, 05:33:35 PMFrom memory I think one has a battery and the other has the compartment but nothing in it. I'd assumed the battery was just to run a clock or something and the settings would be on some sort of flash memory chip, so I'm learning something new here. I'll have a closer look at them and report back.

Somewhere on the forum it was documented that there are two types of units, one with a replaceable battery and one with a huge capacitor on the circuit board.

Found it, here's the topic:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14945.0

If your unit with just the empty space has a pigtail that would connect to a battery connector, then it is a battery backup unit. If there is no such pigtail, you might have a capacitor backup unit.

Both back up the programmed settings. Without a battery, the unit starts up with factory settings. If you want program your unit, without a battery you would loose everything in the event of a line power outage.

Units that act finicky can be turned off, the line power cord detached and the battery removed to then attache the power cord and turn it on to bootstrap the unit to factory settings, to then be programmed if desired.