News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What should I pay for a Panasonic 308 or a 616?

Started by timmerk, January 26, 2017, 03:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmerk

What is the maximum I should pay for a working Panasonic 308 or an 616? I saw someone on these forums snag a 308 for less than $6, but I'm sure that was sheer luck. A local seller wants $125, which I feel is too high from what I've seen. Any suggestions on the max I should pay?

Pourme

I paid $35 for a 308, then $25 for a 616...

I haven't checked lately but I wouldn't pay over $35. They are never there the day you decide you are ready to buy. Be patient they will show up. Create a search and check it daily.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

One thing to keep in mind is how the seller lists the item and if they take returns for a certain number of days.

A lot of 308/616s were taken out of service in normal working condition for a newer system. Some were taken because they failed in some way. Seller may not know and don't or can't test them.

I've got a good price on both of mine but I looked at a lot more than price before buying. More pictures the better, the condition of the unit (clean and not damaged), seller claims for the unit, seller stated history if known and sometimes the seller does test them and provides a warranty of several months to a year (those are higher priced but you know you are getting a working unit).

If returns are not accepted, I'd think twice. Just knowing the seller doesn't want it back puts a question on the unit.

Some have purchased low priced units to find they don't work, or some lines don't work. It's a buyer beware purchase and you usually get what you pay for, and some times you get lucky and find a really nice  condition, fully working unit at a low price including shipping ($50 to $75 total).

There are many purchase stories on the forum, both good and bad. Just keep watching, evaluating and something will turn up.

timmerk

Thank you both! I will create an eBay search and keep an eye out.

Jim Stettler

My 2 cents is to only buy a 616. Same space, better capacity and similar pricing/shipping.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

andy1702

I paid £10 each for my two 616s. I wouldn't go over that as there are plenty of them out there.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

I paid a total of £22 for my 616 (£10 bid + £12 P&P) and £17.99 for my 308 (£4.99 + £12 P&P), so could have been cheaper had I been able to collect them rather than them being couriered to me, but still cheap enough for me... :)

andy1702

I picked mine up so didn't have postage. The second one I even had to uninstall from a big old house that had been converted into offices and was now being converted back to a house. Not only did I get the 616 but I also got to strip out all the wiring and sockets! While doing this I found an early 20th century wooden bell box high on one wall and a couple of later bells. So anotehr tenner changed hands and I took them down too. I'm now looking for a candle stick to go with the wooden bell set, but the bell needs a new ringer as somebody at some stage broke the clapper off.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

Makes me wonder what was in the old Schoolmaster's house just round the corner from me, it too was converted into offices (for Durham County Council) and a couple of years ago was ripped out and returned to being a house (and boy were there a lot of fixtures & fittings I wish I had the room for being dumped by them, including a proper gas cooker from the 60s!!), though I never saw anything telephony, lots of Cat5e ethernet cabling though... ;D

SUnset2

Quote from: andy1702 on January 27, 2017, 02:23:03 PM
...but the bell needs a new ringer as somebody at some stage broke the clapper off.

Andy,  Are you sure that nobody stole the clapper?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjquGpmgwOo

oldguy

1st off, the YouTube video was great. I would suggest the 616, mainly because polarity is revearsed for early touch tone phones, like 2500s on the 308. The prices are about the same even though I haven't seen a good deal on eBay on either one lately.
Gary

oldguy

Gary

timmerk

Thanks! I'll have to let it pass for now, but hopefully another member of these forums can snag it.