News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Considering Purchasing A Panasonic Key Device - Bought a Panasonic KX-T30810

Started by 19and41, September 01, 2017, 02:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

I am looking for one at a reasonable price.  Would anyone have an opinion on this one I have found? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-KX-T30810-Electronic-Modular-Switching-System-308-EASA-PHONE-AS-IS-/332337431551

?epid=1300386404&hash=item4d60dac3ff:g:focAAOSw1MZZizKJ&autorefresh=true

I want to find one that won't break the bank.  (It wouldn't take much   ;) )
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Looks like someone used a solvent to clean it judging by how smudged the logo is... :o

Should do well though, assuming they haven't sprayed solvent elsewhere too... :)

19and41

Yes physically it doesn't look too bad.  I am a bit perplexed by the description.  It says that it was removed from a working environment, but there is also the as is/parts or not working caveat.  I am wondering if the unit worked when pulled and the seller is absolving themselves from any functional liability.  For the price, I could live with that.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Most things like that are sold for parts/not working, my Panasonic KX-T7130E phone was sold as spares or repairs as the seller couldn't test it (or tested on the wrong system & therefore didn't work), but there's nothing wrong with it at all using it on my 308 and 616, so it's just a get-out clause if the buyer is upset that something they bought doesn't work... :)

But these things are bulletproof, usually only needing a new backup battery, though in some cases also needing a bit of goo-picking off the PCB where they sloped some glue over components to stop them moving about, but over time it degrades and becomes conductive and causes problems (my 308 had "goo-issues", worked fine after picking it off) so needs removing... :)

19and41

That sounds pretty good,  It's just new territory for me, not knowing the equipment's track record.
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Well, it's a 308 that was pulled from a working environment in July (they don't say why, did it fail or was it replaced) so it is being sold for parts probably because they have no idea or no way to test or check it or they know something they are not willing to say.

At $40 with free shipping, had to see a downside here, shipping is half that. If it works, it's a deal. If it doesn't, you're out $40 but have a parts or maybe repairable (with unbeldi's help) to fix it. He seems to know these pretty well.

It's 3 CO lines and 8 extensions. These are always a pig in a poke. If they are not damaged in shipping, then it's a chance of it working or not. I haven't priced these in a while. Used to be guaranteed working 616's were in to $50 to $90 range. If I needed one, I'd take a chance and also tell the seller to pack it well so if dropped, the heavy power transformer in it does not damage the PC board it is mounted to in the unit. Some same that is hard to happen but IIRC, that's about the only thing that can get damaged in shipping other than have an Army tank roll over the box.

19and41

Well the shipping is included, And I've made an offer and gotten a bit of aq price break, so I reckon I'll roll 'em and see what comes up.  Thanks for the replies!
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

With an xlink you can use a bluetooth capable cell phone for 1 of the incoming lines co lines.
Just a thought,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

19and41

I'm using a OOMA VOIP unit for my "landline" phone.  I guess I'll be using that with this.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

What I have in mind for it will be to restore the house wiring drops and provide what I hope will be adequate operating current for phones in each room.  I see in the manual facsimile that for any programming of the unit it requires a pricy and scarce extension phone.  Would this be necessary for my purposes? 
— Arthur C. Clarke

Victor Laszlo

To use the system as an intercom, interconnecting single line telephones, it will not need to be programmed. The extensions will be able to dial 9 to reach a trunk. Incoming trunk calls will ring the extensions. The multi-line programming phones are often available cheaply.

twocvbloke

A programming phone isn't necessary for basic operation, but there's so many features to play with that it's worth getting one to see what it can do, my KX-T7130e (slightly later design than the system but perfectly compatible) was only £10 (sold as not working, but worked fine) and allowed me to set a few things on my systems (namely changing the default Pulse dialling to Tone, something that only affects UK firmware) aswell as diagnose the issues my 308 had when I got it... :)

oldguy

Most sellers don't realizes all you need is a couple of phones & a landline to check basic operation, so they sell them "as is, for parts or not working". They are tough units & are usually removed for upgrade reasons. The ones I bought "as is, for parts or not working", worked fine.
Gary

Sargeguy

I have a 308 and 616 both were purchased for cheap on eBay and both work fine.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409